Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 11:38:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Emoticons  (Read 38153 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »

I woke up at around noon, let the dogs out, then went back to bed. It's been an hour and a half since I delved back under the covers. During that time, I've managed to get myself covered in cats, and spent a good half hour contemplating what to post. That's when I noticed something. Well, noticed may be the wrong word. I've been aware of them, of course, but it never really dawned on me until now. There was a row of little yellow and black splotches on the bottom row of the posting toolbar. Seldom seen and even more seldom used, those little images are rarities aside from when the forum automatically swaps out a ": )" for a  Smiley. There has simply never been a drive to use them here.

The smilies, or emoticons, or whatever you want to call them, can be swapped out for better ones.

To those ends, I was thinking that everyone could work together on making an emoticon pack for the forum(after approval from the benevolent deity, Paul). It would be a great way to liven things up, bring the community closer together, and would also enhance the identity of this community. I know how to make emoticon packs for smf, so I can compile them into a mod package myself. Little to no work would be needed on Paul's end, aside from the approval process.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:00:27 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »

I always thought emoticon use was embarrassing, though I'm fine with text emoticons xD. I like the ones already on Mythruna, but wouldn't mind more if others do want them.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »

I always thought emoticon use was  embarassing, though I'm fine with text emoticons xD. I like the ones already on Mythruna, but wouldn't mind more if others do want them.

Well, emoticons may be the wrong phrase. Look at how the Minecraft forum has emoticons set up. They aren't all faces; thry also have objects and items. That's kind of what I want to try.

Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »

Well, that's where it'd get weird. I mean, why would you need to use items? (And I have hardly seen anyone use them, as I'm mainly in the modding forum anyway)

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »

Well, that's where it'd get weird. I mean, why would you need to use items? (And I have hardly seen anyone use them, as I'm mainly in the modding forum anyway)

Diamonds to you, is a good example in the Minecraft forum. People also like using the notch and creeper faces as well as apples alot.

In Mythruna, there's actually a tad more room for emoticons simply because, though it isn't ready, the audience this game will attract will likely include RPers. So adding in little sword icons or wands would... expediate things. In the case of the smilies thenselves, more genre specific smilies would fit in much better than the generic ones we have now.

Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »

Diamonds to you, is a good example in the Minecraft forum. People also like using the notch and creeper faces as well as apples alot.

In Mythruna, there's actually a tad more room for emoticons simply because, though it isn't ready, the audience this game will attract will likely include RPers. So adding in little sword icons or wands would... expediate things. In the case of the smilies thenselves, more genre specific smilies would fit in much better than the generic ones we have now.
That's what I meant by embarrassing, too. Why notch? Or apples? Heheh.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 02:50:05 PM »

That's what I meant by embarrassing, too. Why notch? Or apples? Heheh.
Well, the notch emoticon carries multiple meanings. It's an easy way to identify notch, of course, but it is also a form of praise, and let us not forget that notch is almost like a god in the realm of Minecraft. The apple signifies miscellaneous things, for one, and in other situations it simply serves the purpose as being an icon for food. It's a great way to break language barriers, to an extent.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:30:01 AM »

So, I take it I'm alone about the emoticon thing(or in voicing it). Got it. I just want to wrap up here by saying that, yeah, I'm not a huge fan of what we have now.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:08:37 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »

Heheh... I'm ok with it if someone else does most of the work. Smiley
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »

lol. Would you be able to add syntax into the messages easily, to replace things like :dragon: with an actual image?
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »

lol. Would you be able to add syntax into the messages easily, to replace things like :dragon: with an actual image?

The mod package is easy for me to format, so yes I could do that. Just submit the emoticon(preferably 16x16 or smaller, or 32x32 for an emote intended to be larger), and include the string(s) you want the emoticon to replace. All that must be done then is the approval process and a quick check to make sure the emoticon isn't stolen property.

This goes out to everyone: These emoticons are meant to be Mythruna's OWN, UNIQUE emoticons, not PhPBB's leftovers, or one of the cute little emoticons you saw on Lilian's DeviantArt page. It must be user generated content, not Lilian generated content. In fact, I should probably make a template for this so people aren't trying to paint over smilies they found on google.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 03:15:52 PM »

In case it's helpful... when I was working on the character creator I added some initial code to capture a "portrait" just to test that I could (I won't for a while but I wanted to make sure I could)... so I have one saved image from this test:

The red box represents the automatic area I would capture for a portrait... but you should be able to cut a head out of that if you need it.

There aren't any other clean (with transparency) shots of her that I know of so I thought I'd at least post this.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »

In case it's helpful... when I was working on the character creator I added some initial code to capture a "portrait" just to test that I could (I won't for a while but I wanted to make sure I could)... so I have one saved image from this test:

My Croft head is getting an upgrade. >:3

Fly, my pretties

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »

Emoticon submission: :crofthead:

Please evaluate.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...