Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 08:52:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Recommendation Megathread  (Read 4127 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »

This is a megathread where you can post about games you think are must-play games. As a general rule, no AO games, NO SPOILERS, and no self-advertising.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:12:40 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »

Undertale

I just beat it on the pacifist route... Despite being in dozens of fights, I never had to kill a single thing. I could literally beat bosses by being nice to them, most of the time. At the same time, the possibility was there for me to go on an all-out genocide. I didn't, of course, but it was just as easy, if not easier to wipe everything out and have everyone hate me. The power I had over the narrative was astounding, and I wasn't pinned down to the almost iconic stab-punch-shoot formula that defines most RPGs. It almost felt like Paper Mario with the characters and story progression, but in a world where player input actually matters for once, and stomping the enemies was optional and significant.

The combat system is a great mix between turn-based and a sort of bullet-hell active evasion and timing-based attacks that evolves throughout the entire game. You're always being faced with new challenges, and the combat never gets tedious. It's dark at times, but is mostly humorous and eager to break the fourth wall. There's a relatively deep backstory, and though it's following a more or less tried and true formula, it puts an amazing spin on it that I've never seen before. If every roleplay game was like this one, the world would be a better place for it.

It's one of those games that will make you sad that it's over, just because of how much of a bond you form with the characters over a mere ten hours.

Oh and there's an XP and leveling system, but I got through the game quite easily without gaining a single XP. Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:35:10 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: