Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:21:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout 4...  (Read 30276 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 03:26:48 AM »

It's been a rough day and a half or so.  Took some time off on Thanksgiving which was nice but then finished up feeling the pressure of my ending vacation.

Today was a good but painful day of test, fix, rebuild, repeat.  The plan was to temporarily stub out all of the 'services' that the client expects that will normally need to be provided by remote services.  Like terrain loading, grabbing objects, etc..  The preceding couple of days was building the infrastructure necessary to do that.  The plugin system needed a slight overhaul because I'd never fully implemented a design for how to deal with plugins that needed to add different services depending on what mode the game was running (multiplayer server, multiplayer client, or single player).  I'd hacked in one approach a year ago or so that I completely yanked out for a better one once the design was improved.  Funny how once you start something and put it down for a few months at a time that the train of thought can get derailed.  Anyway, things are now more straight forward.

So that last day and a half or so the process has been:
-run the server
-run the client
-connect to the server
-join with a character
-get an error
-fix the error (sometimes with some not insignificant amount of coding)
-rebuild everything
-repeat

The most unfun part of a hard week.  But now I've finally connected to the server and walked around.  I can't actually see what I'm walking on because I'm not getting real terrain.  Also my position on the client only updates once a second (ham-fisted after all) but I can see that the camera moves up and down and so on as I traverse terrain that I can't actually see.

That's a picture of the multiplayer client connected to my local server.  The view is of far terrain which I've hard-coded as all water at 0 elevation.  The white area is where it cuts off for being too near the player.  The actual land is invisible because that data is hard-coded to return empty.

So now I can get to the business of actually implementing the services.  Turns out there are only three that need immediate attention before I can at least see what I'm walking on.  I'll have to implement at least one more to be able to open my inventory and select my build wand.  That will be needed for adding back support for terrain change notification so the client knows to update.  Once I have all of the basic stuff working then I will get to networking the physics engine with Sim-ethereal (the networking library I used Espace to test).

Hopefully the boring parts are done and the real work can begin.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »

Starting to page over some real data by building out some general resource transfer infrastructure.

The low res terrain and tree impostors is the first by-product... so starting to actually SEE STUFF!

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 06:38:50 AM »

Starting to page over some real data by building out some general resource transfer infrastructure.

The low res terrain and tree impostors is the first by-product... so starting to actually SEE STUFF!

[DAT SNIP DOE]

Heh heh. I see that one tree sitting in the water. Will the faux terrain ever be setup to have accurate-ish approximations of things like buildings, or no?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:38:48 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »

[DAT SNIP DOE]

Heh heh. I see that one tree sitting in the water. Will the faux terrain ever be setup to have accurate-ish approximations of things like buildings, or no?

I bet from a distance you wouldn't notice

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »

[DAT SNIP DOE]

I bet from a distance you wouldn't notice

In Minecraft factions servers, we do something called "pouring", which  is a method that can be used to create walls over 250 blocks tall with little to no effort. It's used to defend against the latest cannon tech through occasionally hundreds of iterations on servers that nerf obsidian. It's not common, but it would be... a very large and recurrent graphical oversight when it does.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »

[DAT SNIP DOE]

Unknown.  I'm purposely staying away from any graphical enhancements right now as they are too easy to use to avoid the less fun stuff that is harder to do. Smiley
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 03:44:22 AM »

Well, you didn't wipe out the to-do list... but the done list is quite extensive, all things considered.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 05:19:27 AM »

Well, you didn't wipe out the to-do list... but the done list is quite extensive, all things considered.

Yeah, I got a lot done.  And so far I can still poke at it as some of the bigger hurdles are done.  As long as I keep up some minimal momentum that I keep the bits of string straight in my head and won't have to untangle it again later.

I'll try to make another big push over Christmas break but I'm trying to still push things along.  You can see some stuff even got moved over to the 'done' column this past night.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »

Yeah, I got a lot done.  And so far I can still poke at it as some of the bigger hurdles are done.  As long as I keep up some minimal momentum that I keep the bits of string straight in my head and won't have to untangle it again later.

I'll try to make another big push over Christmas break but I'm trying to still push things along.  You can see some stuff even got moved over to the 'done' column this past night.

This kinda makes me regret not trying to keep the whole post-a-day thing going, since momentum seems to have the same effect here. I have failed you. :(

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 05:01:14 AM »

Just going to leave this right here for anyone following along:
https://trello.com/b/ePlfYipE/mythruna-networking

Progress...
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »

Lol, still haven't finished cleaning your office? Tongue

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 11:54:21 PM »

Lol, still haven't finished cleaning your office? Tongue

Before Thanksgiving, I made a big enough dent that I don't have to watch where I step through the main area but not clean enough that I'd not be embarrassed to post a picture.  I was able to vacuum part of it but there are a still stacks of stuff (moved to the vacuumed areas) that still require sorting.  I have new book shelves in the bedroom that are meant to take a lot of my old books so that I can move the current ones I actually use and tidy that whole mess up.  Some of that was started.

But then Thanksgiving came and it was clean enough to get work done without feeling like stuff was going to fall on me... so I put it on the back burner.  It's important enough that I want to leave it in the 'current' pile because I should technically be chipping away at it here and there every time I get up.

...but alas.

P.S.: new movement in the trello page.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 07:30:48 AM »

I really like being able to check your trello to see progress. I am continuing my education between hearthstone, 7 days to die, and war thunder binges and will be starting to learn C++ soon.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 05:09:39 PM »

I really like being able to check your trello to see progress.

Cool... then I'm glad I just upgraded to Trello Gold. Smiley
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »

What's the Trello link? I never saved it.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: