Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 09:06:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ambient Light Block  (Read 4366 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:59:54 AM »

Lighting is a hugely important element of any work of architecture, movie, or game. It's a powerful tool for a number of reasons, but one thing I have yet to enjoy in games like this is a simple ambient light; a light source for builders in particular that doesn't interfere with the environment like a fire, torch, or glowing mineral does. An invisible light source, in essence. Can we get something like that, that's visible like properties are and such?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »

Well, an "ambient light" would affect the whole world so that's probably not what you mean.

I probably won't be adding something like this myself as there is no in-game need for it.  But I suspect a modder will do something once dynamic (non-block) lights are supported.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:31:42 PM »

Well, an "ambient light" would affect the whole world so that's probably not what you mean.

I probably won't be adding something like this myself as there is no in-game need for it.  But I suspect a modder will do something once dynamic (non-block) lights are supported.

Ik it was the wrong word, just didn't have a better one off the top of my head. Cheesy

That's kind of a shame, though... Since that basically means my statue is doomed to look like either a constellation or pitch black on half of it for all eternity, with the exeption of using lighting glitches(since you don't really do mods). Ah well, I'll make do.

Eh, I'll discuss it anyway, for argument's sake... One of the ways to generate resources like water is to use a crystal powered 'generator' of sorts, correct? In addition, no expenditure on a crystal is perfect, with a certain quantity of energy released in unintended forms. Such forms would likely include light energy; potentially enough to illuminate the fountain, if only a little.

Now, outside of generators, it allows you to make anything appear to be a light source in city streets and homes. The rather obtuse candle flames we must use now, for instance, can be replaced with a simple invisible light block; we  can enjoy reasonably sized candle flames that are also actually effective. It also allows for immense aesthetic freedom in that you'll no longer be restricted to the inferno or magic light for strong light and small flames for weak light, granted the invisible lights are made diverse enough. It would also be wonderful in builds like the pert estate, where my enormous chandeliers do virtually nothing to illuminate the home at night because of how light works in Mythruna... so it makes it difficult for some people to make their homes appear lit the way they intended. It's a roleplay utility, in some senses.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:03:09 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: