Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 10:51:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk server slot monetization  (Read 5403 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »

So, I've been thinking about the server slots, the slots that would be indexed and promoted later down the line and how they relate to monetization. These slots aren't meant to be particularly expensive if memory serves, but what is your take on such slots changing hands? Would you find it acceptable for a person or entity to, say, rent out these slots or sell their slot to others?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:14:28 AM »

I mean, I don't think I care, really.  As long as it's legal then transfer is fine with me.

Given the way international sales taxes for digital goods have gone since my original business plan, I'm not sure how much of it is still valid anymore, anyway.  Selling digital goods internationally is quite a hassle now and there is every likelihood that if I ever get to that point I will just sell through someone else's store front (like Steam or whatever).

The EU is making steps in the right direction at least but I'm not at all confident that my original ideas will fly.  It's too bad, though, because I still think a mod store was a good idea.  It just starts to become a big mess now.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:39:23 AM »

Eugh. Politics is ruining good game ideas now, huh? Well, if it is as you say regarding the EU, maybe by the time you reach that point, most of those problems will have been addressed. Out of curiosity, what changes in taxation make it more of a hassle?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:56:47 AM »

When I started, digital goods were essentially not taxed at all.  (Pretty sure it's still the same in the U.S.)

Some time back, Europe started charging VAT (basically a sales tax) on digital goods.  But the taxes are assessed for the country of the purchaser and you have all of these requirements for validating where they live to be sure they aren't cheating.  You have to maintain some kind of business relationship with each country in which you do business, also... I think maybe have have a local lawyer or something.  At some point I just stopped paying attention because already it was too onerous.  There was no minimum threshold or anything.  If you wanted to sell $5 worth of digital goods in Luxembourg then you had to register with them, pay taxes, keep records specific to that country, etc..

For the EU, they are talking about making it a central registration and then adding a minimum threshold.  Both of which would go a long way, though for me not necessarily solving the issue.  At least a small business wouldn't have to worry about getting foreign lawyers and accountants involved until you started making enough money to almost cover the costs.  (Though I think the threshold is like 10k which still isn't great.)

Anyway, to run my own store front got super complicated.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »

When I started, digital goods were essentially not taxed at all.  (Pretty sure it's still the same in the U.S.)

Some time back, Europe started charging VAT (basically a sales tax) on digital goods.  But the taxes are assessed for the country of the purchaser and you have all of these requirements for validating where they live to be sure they aren't cheating.  You have to maintain some kind of business relationship with each country in which you do business, also... I think maybe have have a local lawyer or something.  At some point I just stopped paying attention because already it was too onerous.  There was no minimum threshold or anything.  If you wanted to sell $5 worth of digital goods in Luxembourg then you had to register with them, pay taxes, keep records specific to that country, etc..

For the EU, they are talking about making it a central registration and then adding a minimum threshold.  Both of which would go a long way, though for me not necessarily solving the issue.  At least a small business wouldn't have to worry about getting foreign lawyers and accountants involved until you started making enough money to almost cover the costs.  (Though I think the threshold is like 10k which still isn't great.)

Anyway, to run my own store front got super complicated.

I see. I figured it had something to do with dealing with 50 different tax codes, but I had no idea it was that bad. Hey though, if Mythruna gets big enough, you might be able to get the staff you need to process all of that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: