Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 10:37:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantis Minor Research  (Read 15828 times)
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »

I don't have pics just now, but come check out my "stronghold". It's on the map as Atlantis Minor Research, and is around 850, 400 (East of Spawntown, underwater).
I have display cases for twelve statues, and I hope to make one for each element. So, if you have any kind of list, Mr. Speed, I would love to see it. Enjoy!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »

Sounds cool.  I would give you the list but I already know it will change a few times over. Smiley

I assume you meant the elemental magic forces, which the obvious ones are:
-air
-fire
-water
-earth
-life
-spirit
-gravity
-electricity
-light

The difference between earth, life, and spirit may change and they may become the same or something... though in my current design they serve different purposes.  Light and fire may merge but I like the idea of heatless light.

I also feel like there are two that I'm missing but I don't have my notes in front of me.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »

Just remembered magnetism.  It's like iron-specific gravity sort of, I guess.
xXxGIBBZxXx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »

I believe this is mentioned somewhere else, but how will the players use/interact with those "forces" in the game. Something with crafting right?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »

I believe this is mentioned somewhere else, but how will the players use/interact with those "forces" in the game. Something with crafting right?

Yeah, you'll be able to build little "circuits" (though not in the classic sense) using crystals, gems, prisms, etc. to define the pathways and junctures, etc..  It will be similar to electronics but more like manipulating energies than having a full circuit.  In other words, you won't need a closed loop with ground.

Glass becomes a universal conductor and black marble becomes a universal insulator.  Glass prisms and prismatic crystals can be used to redirect the energy and/or combine it with other energies... some similar to the way transistors work.  Some gems can be used to convert one energy to another type and some can store energy for later release.

Spirit crystals emit whatever energy is pumped into another spirit crystal... so they act as wireless conduits.  I believe there will be a signal strength according to quality... but the range will always be longer than would be achieved through point-to-point light beams.

The resulting "circuits" will be small wafers that can be stacked and/or plugged into slots on your body or in weapons or other items.  And actually, stacking, or 3D circuits, may just be a natural requirement of building the "wafer" in the first place.  So stacking may not be a separate thing... but part of the circuit builder, ie: you build up layers like a real 3D electronics chip.

At least that's the plan.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:44:06 PM »

10 is good for now. I currently have four different statues. One is a flower-looking thing, either for life or spirit, not sure yet. A pagoda-ish fountain for water. A wood/stone block floating for gravity, and a glass thing with lights that's really hard to see for light.
The last two are pretty lame as yet, I might just make them from white marble, like the others.

By the way, I have two floors, the lower is B-marble with white statues, and the upper is W-marble with black statues.
If you decide there are to be two opposite sets or have some other preference regarding which room they go in, tell me and I can do it.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:07:47 PM »

The first four have obvious "opposites", I guess... but the others are kind of the own yin and yang... so no direct opposites.

Maybe they are higher order magical spheres or something and so don't have clear opposites.
xXxGIBBZxXx

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 07:58:32 AM »

Its like quantum mechanics! Sounds very interesting. Although, in a circuit like you mentioned, I cant see much use for more than one force(electricity). Why would changing forces mid-circuit be necessary? Also, as far as plugging into the "slots" for our character, will Mythruna take whatever bizarre circuit we create and make use of it? Or will it have to have sort of a "syntax"?

(And please keep in mind that I love your ideas, this is just some constructive criticism Wink )
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »

Whenever I can, I will support whatever bizarre thing you plug-in... presuming I can make that work at all.

I think converting energy is the most common thing to want to do.  For example, construct the right circuit and you can turn sunlight into water for a spring.  Or heat and life energy into air for underwater breathing or whatever.  Or you store sunlight to release later as a lantern at night... perhaps even automatically turning on at night.

The full and final version requires that all magic effects be broken down into some sensible physics based on the relevant magic energies... and then some way of building circuits to manipulate those energies.  It's complicated and may be impossible to go all the way.  For pen-and-paper role playing games years ago, I designed a magic physics that I draw from for inspiration... but it didn't have to work in circuit or computer terms.  I'm still not sure I can come up with a general rule system that holds up and allows any sort of emergent behavior.

But simple logic circuits and simple combinations (some energy to produce heat + water = steam) should be doable.  I just have a gap in the middle I still have to sort out.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »

Heres some pics (shrunk to a small resolution):

The outside

Lower floor

Upper floor

A stairwell

My "room"

By the way, You can see from the pictures that water behaves weird (texture-wise) against glass. It would be nice if you could fix that because my base would look much cooler.
Also, for the blueprint editor, it's kind of annoying to have 32 different shapes to choose from when it's really only 5 actual shapes, just a lot of orientations. Can you make it so you choose a shape and then rotate it? And maybe add some more shapes while you're at it.  Grin
Thanks for caring! Smiley
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:42:44 PM by BenKenobiWan » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:28 PM »

Water will get fixed someday.  The issue with making it clearer is the same problem you will see having turned post-processing effects off like you have in that first picture... you will see things like the sunset and clouds below the water. Tongue

There will be a fix for this later.

Regarding the block types, two levels of selection seemed better than three.  And the 'c' key is your best friend.  In the real game, building will be smarter than it is and you'll only have to resort to the ctrl-scroll thing when the game doesn't guess right for you.

Still, in the object builder it's nice to have precise control, I think... and everything is already in a nice palette.  It's only painful to scroll through 32 shapes in world building... but 'c' is helpful in this regard.  You can select a similar type and then just roll close.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 11:20:01 PM »

Oh, and, nice pics! Smiley  Reminds me a little of the underwater base I built by the enterprise.
BAZINGA!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »

Nice Job BenKenobi. Wink
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »

Thank you both!
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »

hope you dont mind but i made a statue for you and i chucked it in one of the glass container thingys. its err a symbol of humans.... lol i wont be offended if u delete it Tongue

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: