Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 03:30:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New build 20111217 - Bug fix release with some performance tuning  (Read 13156 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »

As usual, get it here:
http://mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_Test_Build

Full change log is here:
http://mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=20111217_Release_Notes

This is primarily a bug fix and performance release for known issues before I do things that are not so easy to "put back in the can" should I need to do another bug fix release. Smiley

Highlights:
-In the previous version there was a bug that if you dragged an object for long distances then sometimes it would kill the thread that handles player movement resulting in not being able to move.  This was most commonly seen when dragging objects you were standing on so that you could fly.
-The game now uses multiple channels for communication to improve throughput and timeliness of updates.  For example, all terrain tiles are now sent on a separate socket so that they don't prevent other messages from coming through.  This should significantly improve lag in some cases.
-I added a temporary F8 "low quality" toggle.  This cuts out most of the work the shaders are doing to see if this improves performance on machines that seem to be shader limited.  On my machine it makes no difference... but if it improves performance on certain classes of hardware then it's a potential avenue of improvement for low-end machines.  (Personally, I think the issue is texture switching which will be the topic of another test in the future.)

Known "Issue": (Same as before)
-There is a "make mobile" menu item for objects that is non-functional.  This is for when the fuller physics system is in place and it's how you would make a physical object that can be bumped, thrown, etc. instead of being "static".
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »

With the low quality toggle, I get about 12 - 24 fps. That's a big improvement.

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
Trecool
Donators

I love drums, I love Guitar, I love Mythruna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »

+10fps for me. Good Job Paul.
And Congratulations ! Many french people love your game. A programmer contacted me for say "Trecool! Paul is very Clean! His script is so professional !"

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »

With the low quality toggle, I get about 12 - 24 fps. That's a big improvement.

What was your framerate before hitting F8?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »

+10fps for me. Good Job Paul.
And Congratulations ! Many french people love your game. A programmer contacted me for say "Trecool! Paul is very Clean! His script is so professional !"

Thanks! Smiley
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »

About 5 fps or so, before hitting F8. http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=425.0

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »

About 5 fps or so, before hitting F8. http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=425.0

Thanks.  I don't always remember the various threads. Smiley

If you go to the bottom of a big ocean does the framerate also improve? (without F8 and then with F8)
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »

If you go to the bottom of a big ocean does the framerate also improve? (without F8 and then with F8)
Not from what I can tell, no. It does improve when I look straight up or down though.

From Bay12Forums
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

Great job paul. Cheesy at least you're still releasing more updates then minecraft now days Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »

Not from what I can tell, no. It does improve when I look straight up or down though.

Ok, that tells me something about your card.  I have a card here were I get 2 FPS unless I go to the bottom of an ocean... then it goes up to 12+ FPS and as high as 19 at times.

Similar to the performance characteristics you and moonkey see, changing the clip doesn't help much.  nor did shrinking the texture sizes.  At the bottom of the ocean, you can only see two types of materials.  I later experimented with replacing all of the material textures with dirt... I then achieved 18 FPS... and the whole world looked like it was carved from chocolate.  Smiley  Only a texture atlas would fix this particular problem.

The F8 low quality settings that improve your framerate are much easier to implement than a texture atlas.  So I always like to ask.  It would be nice if I can get away with just the easy way for a long time. Smiley
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »

Paul u might also want to add f8 to the controls on the wiki page

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »

Paul u might also want to add f8 to the controls on the wiki page

When it's real, I'll add it to the help.  I really at some point might nuke the wiki page and just say "see the in game help'. Smiley
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »

btw my fps doubled when i turned them it off lol went from 45fps to 9-100fps and when i look up it got to 230fps :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »

I haven't tested the f8 thing yet, but the bottom of the ocean is faster for me. also if I dig to the bottom of the world, and look down, it speeds up, and looking up slows it down. vice versa with a tower to the top.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »

I haven't tested the f8 thing yet, but the bottom of the ocean is faster for me. also if I dig to the bottom of the world, and look down, it speeds up, and looking up slows it down. vice versa with a tower to the top.

In the last two cases that's because there is hardly any geometry to render.

Faster at the bottom of the ocean indicates that it's texture switching slowing you down... at least somewhat.

Still, F8 might make things faster for you.  It appears to vary widely.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: