Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 04:25:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass-griefing woes...  (Read 11183 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »

Just caught a mass-griefer in the act using automation to remove a large chunk of the world... and part of my castle with it.  Fortunately, I backed up the world last night and so just restored that area.

Spent a half hour last night rebuilding large portions of spawn town (with some help) that had been randomly removed and griefed, huge craters in the street, large sections of walls missing from the stable, inn, and surrounding buildings, random blocks placed all over.  Tongue Time well spent. Tongue

It was inevitable but it's just depressing.  It's not like I don't have better things to do, after all...
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »

Did you have any logs or any other way to figure out who the SOB was?
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:02:08 AM »

damn, usually there are just random holes or blocks put in. But thats a big one -.-
You should possibly think of a black list for griefers.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:11:25 AM »

Yeah, I think a silent IP ban list is on my to do list now, ie: banned IPs just fail like a connection error or something.  I don't really want to provoke anyone if I can avoid it.

Other than that, I guess I will need to spend some time beefing up the server tools.
xXxGIBBZxXx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »

Its happened again! The large bridge at 953, -353 was the target. There needs to be a way to control it before these people get rid of all of our hard work.
 Cry
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:12:40 PM by xXxGIBBZxXx » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »

Yeah, this is the worst kind because it wasn't just some bot.  Someone wilfully and maliciously randomly nuked sections and scattered random crap all over it.

I just don't understand why people take the time to do stuff like that.  And they had to walk quite a while in this case.

I'll restore it from backup this time, at least.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »

I ended up restoring that whole area (all 1024x1024 of it) back to August 8th.  I recopied the enterprise over.

The griefing extends well beyond that though since they destroyed my bridge and the pirate ship, etc... so more restoring to come.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 05:03:24 AM »

that sucks.
And IP bans wount help that much cause most people don't have a static ip.
In my opinion only the property sytem will be big enough to handle that sh**.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:44:44 AM »

Yeah, so as I was falling asleep last night I came to the conclusion that I'm going to have to sideline physics for a bit and implement some anti-griefing measures.  First, some admin commands to help repair the world and deal with the aftermath and second the property system.  <sigh>

On the plus side, some of the work to give admins a set of special tools may pave the way for some of the physics tools I have to add later.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:45 AM »

Somewhat on this subject, there seem to be quite a few users who have made 0 posts and have no information but a sig that links to some website. suspicious. It's almost like they didn't even intend to add to the community. Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »

If they had an obvious spam web site in their signature when they joined then I banned them.  I don't know if they still show up in the list or not if they were banned.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »

but anything thats under the property system will be ok right? or did they hax past it

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »

Property should be protected.  This mass griefing was before that anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: