Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 04:25:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterfall Prototype  (Read 6818 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »

Figure I'll spread this here instead of just on facebook...

Last night I was playing around with a waterfall effect.  I don't know if or when it will make it into the game... it has a few technical issues still left to be worked out anyway... but it looks kind of cool.

Here are some pics:

Here is a video which does it more justice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GTrbnF1VuU

I posted a link to a download of this little test program to the donator's group.  Membership has it's small privileges. Smiley

This renders beautifully on my nVidia card but has issues on some ATI cards that limit point sprite size, etc..  Still fun to play with and helped me get my coding feet wet (pun intended) after my long trip.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

I posted a link to a download of this little test program to the donator's group.  Membership has it's small privileges. Smiley

How lucrative of you Wink
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »

Eh... particle effect is nice... but the texturing could use a bit of work Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »

How lucrative of you Wink

I doubt anyone will donate just because of this silly little demo. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

Eh... particle effect is nice... but the texturing could use a bit of work Smiley

Texturing is tricky in this case.  The falls on the right are nearly perfect to me... especially when standing underneath them and they are coming down on my face.  With some sound effects and some mist, I think I'll feel wet. Wink

If I ever put this effect into the real game then I'll have to tweak them a lot anyway or the bloom will erase all definition.  Since point sprites aren't drawn in any particular order, you have to be careful, though.  Sometimes shadows create funny artifacts.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

Usually people who make games place physics and water at the end of their list. But you did the opposite *hugs paul* Thank you kind sir ;_; . I now will admire this picture. Btw Splash effects on your face like in RollerCoasterTycoon 3 (google it) would look pro when coming out of water. or under a waterfall. Also paul, think of this: A secret base behind a waterfall >:3 .

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Deathwingoo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:35:25 AM »

This looks nice. Keep up the good work Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: