Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 09:51:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A general view on Mythruna  (Read 12926 times)
Teknonick

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »

To Newly playing Mythruna players. This game has ALOT in store for it, and what is CURRENTLY in-game may not satisfy you, so to make sure you don't rage quit forever, I have put together a list of things that may, or may not, happen once the game reaches the end.

To users who have not given up on Mythruna, and are smart to know that the game will get better soon, and/or fine with how it is.
I am posting this to give new users of the forum a good look on how things WILL turn out, not just "*Join* Ooh look, no mobs! I can't fight! THIS IS DUMB! *ragequit forever*" And hopefully will give all players  of Mythruna a heads up on what MIGHT happen in the near or far future. Don't forget to post some questions to paul, and post them here so I can add the question and awnser to the post up here.

To anyone named Paul and is programing a game called Mythruna. Some of the things I have said need to be fixed, and given more information, I'd like to have a small list of EVERYTHING that might interest players into playing the game, so they don't "*Join* Ooh look, w8, were r teh weapons? y r there no pigs!? I WANT INVTARY! *Rage-quit*" and hopefully will understand that this is NOT close to being finished, or have any game-play in it yet. Please fix some of my Q/A and maybe add some more that random players might need.

Hello, I have put together a list of features, that may, or may not, be included in the game. Most of them are possible, and most likely to be put it, but some may prove to be impossible, or to hard for Paul to add. So, if you have any questions, or ideas, please, post and look. This game is not even close to being finished and has a long way to go before some players "Deem it worthy". Currently there is no "game-play" and only an aspect of building. Please note that some of this information might be wrong, and will be updated regularly.

For now, here is a list of Q/A.

Question: Teknonick
When will there be more news about the combat prototype? I don't know much about it, except when you talked about it on the server. And will there be a

separate download for this? Or will it come with the normal game?

Awnser: Paul
The combat prototype is on hold while I get some other stuff working.  With a working AI and object scripting system, motivated scripters could essentially

implement basic combat and other things in the standard point-and-click RPG style... probably long before I've finished the real combat (if they were so

motivated).  And AI is important for other reasons anyway so I will get at least a prototype of that working first.

There will probably be a publicly released separate combat prototype before it is incorporated into the main game.  It lets me try things out in a smaller

setting.  Though, if full physics makes it into the main engine first then there is no reason to hold back really.

Question: Teknonick
Another question would be, is the Main server going to always be Build? And will there be another Main Server (Hosted by you) for Game Mode, or Combat

Prototype?

Awnser: Paul
The current public server will always be a build server.  Too much has been built there to properly support an RPG game.  I will set up a second server when

the RPG game elements are far enough along.  By then that may require registered accounts, though (ie: people who have donated).  The current server is

planned to remain free.

Question:
What about inventory? Will be be able to carry unlimited amounts of stuff whenever we want to, and what kind of limit do we have???

Awnser: Teknonick (I asked alot of questions about this, so will awnser this one myself, correct me if I'm wrong.)
Inventory is infinite currently in build mode, but during survival mode, you will recieve a single, magical, diamond. You can mine for more, or upgrade it so

you can carry more and more stuff. I believe it is used to ONLY carry building materials. Depending on the type, cut or clear-ness of the diamond, will be

how powerfull it it. Now on how much you can carry without diamonds, I don't think you can carry ANY blocks...

Question:
Will there be a set-story line, or side quests?

Awnser: Teknonick (Again, I am awnsering becuase this went on for awhile. [Again by me.])
No. Becuase of the world being randomly generated, the story could be completly ruined by it, such as a dragon burning down the "Main City" or somthing like that.

Paul said that there will sort of be Side-quests, meaning a merchant might not sell his super magical flame sword of AWESOMENESS, but trade it for the frozen helmet of ooga booga, meaning you have to go and find that helmet, and trade it to the merchant.

Question:
What kind of races will there be, and what 'powers' will they hold?

Awnser: (Taken off of the main page, and a lttle added by me.)
There are 7 different races, including an un-listed number of sub-races. These Races include, Human, Elf, Dwarf, Simian, Reptilian, Pantherian and Avian.

Here are all the races with more detail and back-storys of all them.

Human
This is the most obvious one and the first that will be implemented.

Humans are the primary drivers of widespread civilization on Mythruna.  They are the builders of roads and cities and seek to connect the whole world.  The

other races would normally be content to live on their own in isolation but the humans sort of force interaction through expansion and curiosity.

They have no built in special abilities and so all of their magic component slots are open.

Most above ground regular medieval style cities and towns will have been built and/or are run by humans.

Elf
You pretty much can't have a fantasy world without elves and they are an easy modification of the human character models, so Mythruna will have them...

sometime after human.  Though these are scaled back from Tolkien style elves to make them better fit this world.

These are primarily forest people, tall and thin in stature.  

They are the only race in Mythruna that has an innate magic ability.  It is based on life energy and usually requires sunlight to work.  In other words, they

can naturally transform sunlight into life energy.  (sunlight and life energy are two of the many forms of elemental magic on Mythruna)

They build villages in the earth or in trees, either in burrow style huts or by manipulating trees into larger structures or hollows.  They will rarely if

ever "construct" things and will never dig in anything but raw soil or sand.  They will never mine and cannot easily distinguish one rock from another even

if they did.

As a natural ability, they have a night vision based on the ability to see "life auras" and similar magic energies.

Elves live a very long life which leads to a naturally high wisdom.  As player characters, this shows up as a special ability (if wisdom even becomes a

useful character stat).  The knowledge and wisdom of the elves comes less by direct pursuit as it does from mere exposure to lots of things, handed down

lore, and boredom.

Elves will tend to be "true neutral" in many respects and understand the ideas of conservation of balance even if it requires destruction.  For example,

thinning overpopulated herds or burning sections of the forest to prevent overgrowth.

Extremely likely to be naturalists, druids, healers, and rangers... though most elven rangers will be the product of having been outcast from elven society.

Dwarf

Their short and strong stature make them natural diggers and they will build deep and expansive cities underground where their population thrives.  They are

so good at spending time underground that they can determine their position on a map even if they've been wandering underground for weeks without seeing the

sky.  They also always know how deep they are.

They are natural miners and have a "nose" for minerals.  Frequently a dwarf will be able to predict whether a mineral vein is worth following just by the

smell and shape of the rocks.  Some dwarfs may even possess a homing sense for specific types of minerals and naturally be able to guess where they might be.

They are friends to nearly all underground creatures and even dragons view them as neutral parties unless provoked.  Dragons will see them more as part of

the mountain like any other rock-burrowing creature.  Like an ant not worth swatting as long as it stays away.

Their relationship to the earth means that many types of magic energies are naturally and harmlessly absorbed making some magic have a diminished effect on

dwarfs.

Simian

The simian race is an ape-like humanoid that retains many of the traits of other apes.  They are the scholars and tinkerers of Mythruna.

They tend to build large and expansive towns and cities in the trees and so over time have become exceptional engineers.  Humans and Simians regularly trade

engineering knowledge and secrets and Simian's have an almost compulsive need to collect and read books.  Most Mythruna libraries will be run by Simian

elders.

They are mostly herbivores but will eat certain meats.

Tree climbing is an innate special ability and there feet and tails can be used as additional climbing aids.  If they have a chance to situate themselves,

they can continue using both hands freely even in precarious positions.  They are the only race that can naturally climb one-handed.

They have no natural magic ability but they can often understand the workings of magic devices enough to construct or repair them.

As humans, they are adaptable.  If they build a tree city then they build it to last and will spend generations there.  Also like humans, they are not

climate specific and will find a way to adapt their lifestyle to any particular location on Mythruna.

Reptilian

These silent and cold blooded humanoid reptile carnivores are natural predators and naturally distrustful of outsiders.

There special abilities are many.  They can breath underwater, climb nearly any surface, move silently, and in some cases hide almost invisibly.

Their night vision is heat based, ie: infrared.

As player characters, they have almost no available magic component slots... maybe just one.  There special abilities sap heat energy.

The fact that they are cold blooded limits them somewhat.  While they can swim underwater for an unlimited amount of time, cold water is a severe and

constant risk.  They will almost exclusive live in warm climates.  Only the more civilized Reptilian will live where winters are harsh and then only in towns

or cities where they can stay indoors most of the time.

Reptilian populates tend to be spread out over a larger area in warm caves of burrows in the desert or warm grasslands.  They do not migrate with the seasons

and so will build where seasons are warm to mild.  Certain sects may also live in underground fresh water caves where the waters stay warm all year around.

Pantherian

The pantherian's are a race of humanoid cat-like people.  They are carnivores that can move fast and silently making them formidable hunters.

They have limited tree climbing ability and can leap up short rocky slopes.  They must keep moving and cannot use their hands while climbing trees.

They dislike large bodies of water and will almost exclusively live in simple villages built near or around lowland forests or caves.  Caves especially in

winter.  Their dislike of water is such that indigenous pantherians will never travel by ship.  If they must move from one continent to another then they

must travel by air.  This is extreme enough that a population of pantherians will stay and die fighting a dragon if sea travel is their only other option.

It is very likely that they build makeshift camps during the warm months to be where food is plentiful, moving to a set of caves during winter hibernation

periods.

If the Lion and Tiger sub-races live in close proximity then it is almost always true that they are at war.  The leopard sub-race will often play as neutral

parties in these conflicts.

Avian

The "bird men of Mythruna" are the true nomads.  They tend to carry all of their possessions with them and still travel light.  They rarely settle in one

location for more than a few weeks at a time.

The have arms and legs like a human but light leathery wings on their backs.  They are short, thin, and very light weight making them weak warriors in hand

to hand combat.  It is rare for them to wear anything but the thinnest leather armor since any extra weight will limit their ability to fly.

In addition to flight, another special ability is that they can detect changes in the weather.  If an Avian's wings are damaged beyond healing then they are

ostracized from their social group and must find their way in the world.  It is very common to see flightless Avian's on board sailing and air ships as

navigators and lookouts.  Their sense of weather and direction, as well as general knowledge of air currents, makes them valuable assets on any long-haul

vessel.

The warrior Avian will tend to use a sling or in some cases a short bow.  Bladed weapons are as light as possible and will either be a single dagger strapped

across their chest or wooden cudgels or quarter spears.

It is extremely unlikely that an Avian sect has ever built a town or a city.  They tend to move to where the weather is good and resources are plentiful,

migrating as the seasons change.  The civilized Avian loner or outcast may live in rented high towers or stay at inns when they travel.  Most of the

indigenous Avians will prefer a hastily built shelter on a mountain top or in a tree.

Humans and Simians envy the Avian's for their ability to fly and often ignore the limitations this imposes.  Reptilians and Pantherians see them as a rare

delicacy.  Dwarfs think they are crazy for ever leaving the ground.

Question:
How will fighting work???

Awnser: Teknonick (Becuase he mostly explained this in-game so I don't have his exact words.)
Well, this has two awnsers.

Early addition to the game.
It might be a simple, aim and click, like most other games are, but that is only if he can't get his system that he really wants working, or if it might take to long.

Later in the game. (After Physics have been finished and working perfectly)
It will be more complicated and ALOT cooler! Meaning, you hold down your left mouse button, and slide it to the left, and you will swing to the left, same

thing if you slide it foward, you might stab someone, or do an uppercut.

Also, most weapons will be hand-crafted by the player, meaning they will all look different, and have different wheights, sizes, materials, shapes, speeds,

damage and attack types.

There will also be some weapons made by Paul himself, simply because he needs weapons for traders to sell.

Weapon Types. A simple list of weapons and how you would craft them. (Not comfirmed, but most likey how it will work.[None are these are confirmed or even

mentioned by Paul, I'm just giving an outline on how they MIGHT work.])
Slicing. Would be the base for most weapons, such as swords, axes. Would mostly Attack quickly, and side-to-side motions.
Polearm. A longer reach, and a piercing type of attack, being slower than a sword, but giving you room to dodge an attack. Would be used for lots of

stabbing, and when needed, to shove someone away.
Smashing. The slowest weapon, also probobly the strongest weapon, being able to smash someones bones in a single swing, but also ALOT easyer to dodge, and

handle. Also hard if your enenmy is wearing magical armor to protect against bone smashing.
Bows. The ranged weapon, mainly for taking care of animals, and enemys from afar, the worst weapon for up close.
Crossbows. Simular to a bow, but being slower, and piercing though enemys much more easyly. Also takes alot longer time to reload and easy for anyone to use.

Mainly given to un-trained militia.
Throwing. Another ranged type, such as throwing a spear, or javelin or even a boomerang... These would also mean that you would have to carry more than one of whatever you are throwing, such as after you throw a spear, it will be stuck inside your enemy, and unless your willing to run up to him and pull it out of him. Same thing with a boomerang, if you throw it at him, its going to be stuck in the side of his arm, or bounce off harmlessly...

(Reminder, none of the weapon types, or what they do, are NOT confirmed AT ALL... Just a basic concept on how they MIGHT work in the game.)
(Another note that boomerangs would be a very hard thing to make, and that is an example of a throw able weapon.[Mostly a play toy [Unless it has spikes.]])
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:34:36 PM by Teknonick » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »

Before I address any points directly, I will supply some potentially useful links:

The general FAQ: http://mythruna.com/faq/
The overview of the (eventual) playable races: http://mythruna.com/about-mythruna/playable-races/
The deeper thread about the playable races: http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=332.0  (includes some concept sketches too, as I recall)
The high level roadmap: http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=502.0
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »

Question:
What about inventory? Will be be able to carry unlimited amounts of stuff whenever we want to, and what kind of limit do we have???

As you hinted at, broken down resources (raw materials) are carried in crystals that are part of a magic holding circuit.  Diamonds are the best storage crystal and every player will start out with one.

Regular items and stuff will be dealt with similar to other RPGs.  You will places to carry stuff and a max weight you can carry.  So you may have a back pack where you keep stuff.  Other containers will relate to quick slots... so things on your belt or in certain pockets will appear in quick slots.  Stuff in your pack you would have to rummage around for which means that you'd have to have at least one hand free.  At least that's the plan.

Question:
Will there be a set-story line, or side quests?

You sort of covered this but there will kind of be side quests... just not part of a larger story arc and they may not have the trumped up stories of some RPGs.  Your reputation and relationships with NPCs will be important depending on how you want to play.  Furthermore, some NPCs will barter for items and not gold.  Between this and your own goals, the chain of "quests" necessary to accomplish some task may be varied and complicated.  For example, if you decide you want to run your own town you will have to find a magistrate and get a petition... then get 100 people (NPCs or players, with some split) to sign the petition before the local government will grant your request.  If you are not a very likeable character, you may have to do all kinds of stuff to ingratiate yourself to enough NPCs to get signatures.

Or maybe you want some special item and need to supply some set of ingredients to the merchant providing this item... tracking down those ingredients could lead to a bunch of interesting "quests".

Question:
How will fighting work???

Awnser: Teknonick (Becuase he mostly explained this in-game so I don't have his exact words.)
Well, this has two awnsers.

Early addition to the game.
It will be a simple, aim and click, like most other games are.

Later in the game. (After Physics have been finished and working perfectly)
It will be more complicated and ALOT cooler! Meaning, you hold down your left mouse button, and slide it to the left, and you will swing to the left, same thing if you slide it forward, you might stab someone, or do an uppercut.

The first part is only half right.  The scripting support will have the capability to do that if modders feel so inclined to add that on their own.  It is also my fallback position if I can't get the more advanced combat working.

I haven't said too much about the combat because it may not work or may just suck or be unfun.  I hate to even pretend to promise stuff that I can't deliver.

I have designed control systems for slashing, stabbing, throwing, and archery.  I think I have designed around all of the suckiness that I expect to encounter but only time and some play testing will tell.

Also, most weapons will be hand-crafted by the player, meaning they will all look different, and have different wheights, sizes, materials, shapes, speeds, damage and attack types.

Assuming I get combat working like I want it then it will be physics based.  Within the constraints of the control system your items will behave differently depending on how they are built and what they are made with.  Even the current player created objects already know where their center of gravity is, how much they weight, etc..  All of this will factor into how they swing, how much force they hit with, etc..

Even if I fall back on the simpler "point and click" style, I think I can take these things into consideration.

The game will start with some default weapons (and some advanced magical ones also) just because the merchants will need to sell something and there needs to be good loot in the dungeons.  But any of those weapons will exist because I hand-crafted them in the game the same as a player and just made them part of the game.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »

tl;dr

lol jking i liked your post teknonick very detailed and explains most of what i hear new users asking :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »

tl;dr

lol jking i liked your post teknonick very detailed and explains most of what i hear new users asking :]
Thanks.

And paul, thanks for the extra feed-back on the post, I'll try and update the post whenever I get new info.

I also need to mention more often that, ANY feature may, OR MAY-NOT be added to the game.
Again thanks for clearing up some more stuff.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »

Too bored to read. A+ for a time waster to older players Smiley

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »

Too bored to read. A+ for a time waster to older players Smiley
LOL XD Well, yes. This isn't really ment for older players, becuase you read the forums more often, and are already content with the game Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: