Mythruna
April 25, 2024, 09:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shadows :]  (Read 7027 times)
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »

hey paul im just wondering if your going to make proper shadows cast from blocks by the sun, i took a photo to just explain what im doing more haha

like will there eventually be a shadow cast onto the blocks behind the pole or would that be to resource hungry and if you can do it would it move around as the sun rises and sets ect. 

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »

Too resource hungry.

I think about this a lot but haven't come up with any good solutions.  Classic shadow casting techniques would be slow and somewhat ugly and they'd completely not work for interior lights... and I worry that would make interior lights look wrong.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »

ok hehe just wondering what was stoping you from doing them XD

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s Dynamic lighting maybe resource hungry: but I have no huge FPS problems with it ^^. Must be a good engine.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s Dynamic lighting maybe resource hungry: but I have no huge FPS problems with it ^^. Must be a good engine.

I don't know anything about it.

Single light or "few light" dynamic shadows are doable in a couple different ways.  Mythruna has an "infinite number of lights" system which makes shadows harder.  I could potentially do dynamic shadows for only the sun and moon but then I believe it would make the other lighting feel overly bland in comparison.

Eventually there will be player carried lights and it will be weird if the sun casts long shadows and they don't.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »

What about an option? Have it on be default, and if the FPS gets too low, have it pop up a message suggesting to turn off the dynamic shadows! With another option to not show this again, of course....
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »

Stalker has Full dynamic shadows. Which shows shadows at your view distance. Enhanced dynamic has dof,sunrays and more. (soft water/soft particles)

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: