Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 05:36:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server is back online...  (Read 17658 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »

Anyone attempting to hit the public game server the past few days will have noticed that it was rejecting connections.  Even hitting the <host>/status page with your browser would have showed the site to be dead.

Basically, this is why:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/us/storms-leave-2-million-without-power.html?pagewanted=all

My house had been without power since 10 PM or so Friday night and it only just came back on two hours ago.  My house network can only last without power for about 40 minutes... which is considerably shorter than 43 hours or whatever.

Thanks for your patience.  And I'm glad to have central air conditioning again. Smiley  It's been quite an interesting few days.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »

WHAT!? YOUR power is on NOW!? Lucky you Tongue Mine isn't yet...
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »

Yeah, we know what that feels like, too.  We had friends getting their power back on Yesterday and were envious.

Driving around this morning was kind of funny as we went through different pockets of outages... determined by whether the stores were open and the traffic lights were working.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »

Yeah, we know what that feels like, too.  We had friends getting their power back on Yesterday and were envious.

Driving around this morning was kind of funny as we went through different pockets of outages... determined by whether the stores were open and the traffic lights were working.
Hehe, can't wait till it turns on here... And on the server, can you TP me to spawn please? :3
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »

What is up with the northeast? Either that was a beyond massive storm or the economy is really slow to react fast. I get the blackouts for 1-2 days but half a week is bad. I hate to think how dependent we are to electricity (spoiled food and no communication, much less mythruna down). Just a question, do you guys in the NE have to worry about rolling blackouts in hot summer days? Texas is on the verge over-electrical consumption, it was so bad last year.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »

What is up with the northeast? Either that was a beyond massive storm or the economy is really slow to react fast. I get the blackouts for 1-2 days but half a week is bad. I hate to think how dependent we are to electricity (spoiled food and no communication, much less mythruna down). Just a question, do you guys in the NE have to worry about rolling blackouts in hot summer days? Texas is on the verge over-electrical consumption, it was so bad last year.

No, we don't worry about rolling blackouts and this sort of thing rarely happens.  It was kind of a freak storm that took us by surprise... 80 MPH sustained winds took a lot of trees down.  We are an extremely wooded area.  Our neighbor lost a bunch of branches and the top half of one of his tall pine trees demolished a section of our fence (6 foot tall fence).

We lost power during the winter once a few years ago long enough that when we got power again I immediately bought a portable generator.  So in our case we were able to keep the fridge running and some other small things.  I wasn't sure the local cable would be up so I didn't bother to try to bootstrap my network.  On Sunday morning it was clear the heat was going to be a problem (near record heat wave around here... 109 degrees, etc.) so I went out and bought a window AC unit to tide us over.  The generator saved us for sure.

...but we all did a happy dance when the power came back on late Sunday afternoon.  43 hours total for us, I think.

I heard that power trucks from other states as far north as Canada and from states far south were up to help fix the damage.  On one road I was driving on on Sunday, about half the power poles had been shored up so must have either gone down or close to it.

Just to give a clue, though... when I rebooted my main network Linux machine it told me that the file system hadn't been checked in 354 days... which means that's how long it was since the last reboot.  So some time near a year ago, power must have been out for more than 40 minutes... but not since then.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »

We hit 112 Degrees last year here. Humidity is so cruel. It's still hot here. And the sun doesn't completely set until 9:05 Smiley. No power outages this year where I am yet! It has also been a month or two since we had a storm.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »

We hit 112 Degrees last year here. Humidity is so cruel. It's still hot here. And the sun doesn't completely set until 9:05 Smiley. No power outages this year where I am yet! It has also been a month or two since we had a storm.

Yeah, Sunday as the sun was coming up and I was watching the temperature rise, the humidity was 83% or something.  I thought about hooking up the dehumidifier to the generator and then just decided that was only a half-way solution anyway so just went and bought the AC unit instead.  Couldn't really afford it right now but I was getting desperate at the time and still didn't know how much longer we'd be powerless.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 12:01:33 PM »

ya, oklahoma is next to texas so we probably felt the same heat wave. 100+ for more than a month straight  Sad. Anyway, glad you finally get your ac. hopefully power will be back on for the rest of everybody. I think its funny that they are prophesying a hard heat wave this year, even though were i live is about 10-20 degrees below last years temps.

optimistically - only 2 more months of hot temps  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: