Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 02:54:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GRS/AI Tester tease  (Read 24415 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:50:09 PM »

Slowly reworking the AI tester "global resources" stuff to work on a real Mythruna world database.

Here is a shot of some buildings (without labels yet):

I hope to port the rest of the town functionality over tonight and maybe put up another release for donators to play with.

Also, seems we surpassed 5000 posts recently (including the donators and Friends of Mythruna groups.)
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »

Wow, this is actually coming along quickly. Is it easy after hitting the initial barrier of "how"?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »

Wow, this is actually coming along quickly. Is it easy after hitting the initial barrier of "how"?

This part _is_ kind of easy.  I have a long (15+ years?) background in GIS apps so rolling some components with map layers and stuff is not too hard.  And the hard work of the town entity relationships, etc. was already done for the other one and is pretty easy to repurpose for this.  (In fact, it will still work with both versions of the UI which is important to me.)

Anyway, yes, the "how" was the hard part.  I had conceptualized how I wanted all of the parts to fit together with the relationships... but the proof is in the pudding, so they say.  And in this case, some parts were markedly simpler than I thought they originally needed to be and some parts are harder.  The resource mapping is not done by a long shot and there are some things it doesn't yet handle properly but a working implementation is gold.  The rest is sort of window dressing at this point. Smiley

And originally this was about providing level of detail intelligence (multi-tiered AI) for the NPCs... and to give them proper life and motivations.  Only after being in the thick of it did I realize this also answers nearly every missing piece I had in the "how to generate a town" design.  So we're on a slight side-track at the moment.

I'll release a version of the AI tester that lets the user place their own towns just like the old one.  Then slowly I'll add randomization features and keep tweaking it until I'm happy with it.  I have to be kind of careful because the final version of town and city generation should take all resources into account and not just some prototype ones... which means I need to think about cotton+wool->textiles->clothes, ship buildings, air docks for flying ships, etc.  At least for the final versions... but I hate to have to completely regenerate worlds every time I iterate so I will try to add as much as possible early.

...and last night while I was walking the dog I was day dreaming about how underwater cities will be constructed since they don't need streets... but that's another story. Smiley
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:23:53 PM »

This part _is_ kind of easy.  I have a long (15+ years?) background in GIS apps so rolling some components with map layers and stuff is not too hard.  And the hard work of the town entity relationships, etc. was already done for the other one and is pretty easy to repurpose for this.  (In fact, it will still work with both versions of the UI which is important to me.)

Anyway, yes, the "how" was the hard part.  I had conceptualized how I wanted all of the parts to fit together with the relationships... but the proof is in the pudding, so they say.  And in this case, some parts were markedly simpler than I thought they originally needed to be and some parts are harder.  The resource mapping is not done by a long shot and there are some things it doesn't yet handle properly but a working implementation is gold.  The rest is sort of window dressing at this point. Smiley

And originally this was about providing level of detail intelligence (multi-tiered AI) for the NPCs... and to give them proper life and motivations.  Only after being in the thick of it did I realize this also answers nearly every missing piece I had in the "how to generate a town" design.  So we're on a slight side-track at the moment.

I'll release a version of the AI tester that lets the user place their own towns just like the old one.  Then slowly I'll add randomization features and keep tweaking it until I'm happy with it.  I have to be kind of careful because the final version of town and city generation should take all resources into account and not just some prototype ones... which means I need to think about cotton+wool->textiles->clothes, ship buildings, air docks for flying ships, etc.  At least for the final versions... but I hate to have to completely regenerate worlds every time I iterate so I will try to add as much as possible early.

...and last night while I was walking the dog I was day dreaming about how underwater cities will be constructed since they don't need streets... but that's another story. Smiley
WOOH underwater Race(s) :3
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 08:26:31 PM »

WOOH underwater Race(s) :3

The Reptilians can breathe underwater and were originally an underwater race until the oceans receded.  It's reasonable to think that there might still be some underwater reptilian cities.  These would be more civilized than their sparsely populated tribal desert-dwelling brethren.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

Almost have the full town-level functionality back in this version.  Just a few more things to hook up and then maybe some cleanup and final testing before I release it.

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/flRct.png

FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »

this looks amazing :] development of the ai seems to be traveling alone faster than i thought it would im not sure if its just because you are keeping us updated so well but good work paul :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »

this looks amazing :] development of the ai seems to be traveling alone faster than i thought it would im not sure if its just because you are keeping us updated so well but good work paul :]

Heheh... it's the keeping you updated part.   Other than a fancy new UI that sets me up for greater things, there isn't really that much new in this from a "what will end up in the game" perspective.

But for future modders who want to manually create a town for some mod, this is gold.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »

Heheh... it's the keeping you updated part.   Other than a fancy new UI that sets me up for greater things, there isn't really that much new in this from a "what will end up in the game" perspective.

But for future modders who want to manually create a town for some mod, this is gold.
Hmmm I'd COMMAND you to put in a pig or a cave-man into Mythruna, and let it run around crazy with the intelligence... But I know you would say no, its too early :3
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »

Hmmm I'd COMMAND you to put in a pig or a cave-man into Mythruna, and let it run around crazy with the intelligence... But I know you would say no, its too early :3
I don't think the AI is to that point, anyway. Or is it?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »

I don't think the AI is to that point, anyway. Or is it?

No.  So he's right, "too early". Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: