Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 11:13:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wide paths...  (Read 6652 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »

Tonight I was playing with expanding my path finding and road/path carving to handle paths wider than one block.  After a lot of work it's starting to look like something worth using.

http://i.imgur.com/9kox2.jpg

It's tricky to get this right over rough and hilly terrain like that and have it still be walkable.  This is just one section of a much longer path... the full one takes 30 seconds or so to walk end to end and is fully "walkable".  I shot a video but I don't think I'll upload it.

Industrial style roads where valleys are bridged and land is wholesale removed to make the roads flat and straight are easier to code but less interesting to me.  Mythruna will probably have them for cities and main roads but for towns and villages this style is more appropriate.  Especially in a dirt material.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:30:53 AM »

Hills are tricky with the style of terrain you are using. Since terrain is in blocks, creating a hill like this that terraces a bit would be slow for travel bumping up each step. Are you going to use slopes, or I'm guessing you like the blocks even if they are a bit inconvenient?

Of course though, still good job. I like how the road goes up a hill, and doesn't even follow a straight line, but when looked upon, one can still make out the road. It will be harder to distinguish dirt but I guess that is not so much a bad thing for a less-used road. Again, I'm enjoying myself just watching the different problems you tackle.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:37:04 AM »

Hills are tricky with the style of terrain you are using. Since terrain is in blocks, creating a hill like this that terraces a bit would be slow for travel bumping up each step. Are you going to use slopes, or I'm guessing you like the blocks even if they are a bit inconvenient?

Of course though, still good job. I like how the road goes up a hill, and doesn't even follow a straight line, but when looked upon, one can still make out the road. It will be harder to distinguish dirt but I guess that is not so much a bad thing for a less-used road. Again, I'm enjoying myself just watching the different problems you tackle.

This road is made with half-height blocks so you can walk it almost as fast as walking up a slope.

Using slope blocks is really really really hard to get right in these non-straight cases.  Even by hand that would be tough to do.  I don't mind the block terrain so much in this case... and it will be easier for animated characters to navigate, too.

One benefit of block terrain that a lot of people don't realize is that it provides nice contrast.  The slopes are really easy to see from a distance.  With smooth slopes it kind of all blends together and you lose some definition... solvable problems, of course... but a block world is slightly more forgiving in this case.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 02:25:38 AM »

Ok, I lied... I went ahead and uploaded the video. Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1pGtnXwNYQ
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »

Paul! Awesome job! Mind making it so if you walk over small objects, you kind of go though them? Because the're so small you just don't step on them Shocked... And maybe if the block is low enough, you insta-climb the bock ;3

Aside from that, make a video of you walking down a road from a town, to another town Cheesy! I'd LOVE to see what they look like Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »

Paul! Awesome job! Mind making it so if you walk over small objects, you kind of go though them? Because the're so small you just don't step on them Shocked... And maybe if the block is low enough, you insta-climb the bock ;3

Insta-climb would be hell for the physics engine to deal with.  Everything you are carrying would shoot 200 miles into space.  Objects that are small enough will not have collision meshes for the player.

Aside from that, make a video of you walking down a road from a town, to another town Cheesy! I'd LOVE to see what they look like Wink

Me too.  When I have that working I will post it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: