Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 06:58:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: If monsters were real  (Read 17337 times)
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »

So as far as i know, there will be animals, aggressive animals, and variants of both. However, being the hardcore D&D and RPG player i am, i much more prefer a grand variety of beasts to slay, and i think that games nowadays have lacked such content. With that in mind, i have been looking at monsters that aren't specific to one game, but reoccur in myth or have been used so many times you wouldn't get sued! The main sources i used for this are Master of Magic and D&D, of course, sheerly because they have many monsters that meet my previous criteria. look em up if you never heard of them. So, the list goes:

• Sprites
  • Elementals
  • Angels
  • Bat (Flaming bats, Doom bats, etc.)
  • Barghest
  • Basilisk
  • Behemoth
  • Beholder
  • Belker
  • Brownie
  • Bugbear
  • Chimera
  • Cockatrice
  • Colossi
  • Couatl
  • Death Knight
  • Daemon/Devil
  • Doppelganger
  • Dragon Turtle
  • Ettin
  • Frost Worm
  • Gargoyle
  • Ghoul
  • Genie
  • Gnolls
  • Gorgons
  • Griffon
  • Hellhound
  • Hippogriff
  • Homonculus
  • Ifrit
  • Kobold
  • Lich
  • Lycanthrope
  • Manticore
  • Mephit
  • Naga
  • Roc
  • Shadow Mastiff
  • Spider (All kinds)
  • Spirits/Ghosts/Spectres
  • Stalkers (Invisible Warriors)
  • Troglodytes
  • Unicorn
  • Wight
  • Will-o'-wisp
  • Worg
  • Wraith
If any of these make it to Mythruna, it would be pretty sweet.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »

Dang bro, nice list. Some of those may make it, but they may not be selected as a "race". I want the idea of a Homunculus to be a boss! here is a list of the Homunculus should be in it, seven deadly sins Wink

Pride - The Strongest, the Ultimate Boss.
Gluttony - The Fattest, slow but strong.
Wrath -  Fast, not strong, but hard to hit.
Envy - Angry, will attack anything in a diameter of 15 blocks away on level ground. and 10 blocks away on unlevel ground.
Sloth - Slowest, but can be very hard to destroy.
Greed - Sneaky, not willing to attack, more willing to steal your items.
Lust - [?]
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »

I was hoping for a remorhaz myself
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »

Dang bro, nice list. Some of those may make it, but they may not be selected as a "race". I want the idea of a Homunculus to be a boss! here is a list of the Homunculus should be in it, seven deadly sins Wink

Pride - The Strongest, the Ultimate Boss.
Gluttony - The Fattest, slow but strong.
Wrath -  Fast, not strong, but hard to hit.
Envy - Angry, will attack anything in a diameter of 15 blocks away on level ground. and 10 blocks away on unlevel ground.
Sloth - Slowest, but can be very hard to destroy.
Greed - Sneaky, not willing to attack, more willing to steal your items.
Lust - [?]
Actually i was trying to stay away from the Full Metal Alchemist type. I know they are cool and all, but the *original* Homonculi were living constructs, but could not pass as a human on their own. I thought they fit the "steampunk" monster style very well.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »

Actually i was trying to stay away from the Full Metal Alchemist type. I know they are cool and all, but the *original* Homonculi were living constructs, but could not pass as a human on their own. I thought they fit the "steampunk" monster style very well.

Indeed.  I will be influenced enough by FMA without outright stealing ideas. Smiley

And I agree, the idea of a homunculus is always interesting.

There will be plenty of monsters.  Where possible I will try to make them a bit unique or give them some twist over the original.  Maybe things like gargoyles that are stone during the day time.

It will be an interesting balance, anyway.  Walking around the world, the things you run into most should resemble normal animals even if they are different than regular earth animals.  As you reach the fringe of civilized areas (get away from roads and towns) you should start encountering stranger creatures and the "fantastic" should ramp up very quickly.  I have not fully considered what those will be like, yet.

I know there will be fantasy creatures that are not entirely dangerous, too... wisps, etc. along with something like standard orcs, goblins, etc. which are not creatures in the "monster" sense but ultimately not friendly to everyone either.  These won't be playable races because they are primitive even compared to modern reptilian and pantherian society... but there will be something like them around.  Like chimpanzees and apes with just a bit of culture.

Anyway, I will leave specific creatures up to when I learn blender better.  I don't "write anything in" on my design unless I have a game/story need for it.  So things evolve as I go.  I have the various D&D monster manuals and a few encyclopedia of myths and monsters, etc..  For some different perspectives, I also have a few books on an old role-playing game called Runquest which made a recent attempt at a revival.  (That game influences my RPG game systems more than any other.)

I do know there will be grue lizards.  They only hunt at night and, in fact, avoid light.  They are inky black and make a hissing sound right before they attack.  I want to pay homage to Zork and make MC players wet their pants all at the same time. Wink

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »

Indeed.  I will be influenced enough by FMA without outright stealing ideas.

Boo, he knew my plan... I still watch it Wink
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »

Also, I know blender uses 3D, so if you make a 3D image you edit every side of the image and it represents as an actual character, none of the code folding? and do you just do one image, or one for every perspective?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »

I've seen all of the originals and the movie.  I haven't gone through Brotherhood yet.  Good stuff, though.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »

Also, I know blender uses 3D, so if you make a 3D image you edit every side of the image and it represents as an actual character, none of the code folding? and do you just do one image, or one for every perspective?

You make 3d models.  There are infinite sides.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »

I've seen all of the originals and the movie.  I haven't gone through Brotherhood yet.  Good stuff, though.

Brotherhood and the original are the same thing almost, same story line, but slightly different. There may be a bit more details and added features though..
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »

Brotherhood and the original are the same thing almost, same story line, but slightly different. There may be a bit more details and added features though..

Yeah, I know... that's why I haven't watched it yet.  Waiting until my "I want to see it again" level has risen higher.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »

Funny how we're at the same point in that  Smiley i watched the whole series and the movie in a fairly short time.

belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 06:31:50 PM »

There will be plenty of monsters.  Where possible I will try to make them a bit unique or give them some twist over the original.  Maybe things like gargoyles that are stone during the day time.

It will be an interesting balance, anyway.  Walking around the world, the things you run into most should resemble normal animals even if they are different than regular earth animals.  As you reach the fringe of civilized areas (get away from roads and towns) you should start encountering stranger creatures and the "fantastic" should ramp up very quickly.  I have not fully considered what those will be like, yet.

I know there will be fantasy creatures that are not entirely dangerous, too... wisps, etc. along with something like standard orcs, goblins, etc. which are not creatures in the "monster" sense but ultimately not friendly to everyone either.  These won't be playable races because they are primitive even compared to modern reptilian and pantherian society... but there will be something like them around.  Like chimpanzees and apes with just a bit of culture.

Anyway, I will leave specific creatures up to when I learn blender better.  I don't "write anything in" on my design unless I have a game/story need for it.  So things evolve as I go.  I have the various D&D monster manuals and a few encyclopedia of myths and monsters, etc..  For some different perspectives, I also have a few books on an old role-playing game called Runquest which made a recent attempt at a revival.  (That game influences my RPG game systems more than any other.)

I do know there will be grue lizards.  They only hunt at night and, in fact, avoid light.  They are inky black and make a hissing sound right before they attack.  I want to pay homage to Zork and make MC players wet their pants all at the same time. Wink

Sounds pretty good! feel free to use the more "fantastical" creatures too  Smiley people who don't know D&D and stuff like it will be so surprised

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »

Sounds pretty good! feel free to use the more "fantastical" creatures too  Smiley people who don't know D&D and stuff like it will be so surprised

Yep, the more unique the better.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »

I love FMA...
This is the 3rd time around i am watching it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: