Mythruna
April 20, 2024, 04:28:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Third person...  (Read 8594 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:06:35 AM »

This sort of thing is kind of controversial because some players will think it ruins the game while others will believe it to be the best thing ever.  Still, I think in a modern first-person game where your body is "in the game" with you... it's an inevitable feature to have as an option.

Truthfully, I'm not generally a fan of third-person for computer RPGs.  It's nice on the consoles with a game pad but for the mouselook+keyboard style, I prefer to "be in the head".  However, some things are 1000x easier to debug from a third person perspective.  I can easily test physics issues and see the actual points of collision.  When animation is added, I'll be able to test the animation more easily, etc..  I even already found one bug where it turns out the avatar feet float about 1 centimeter off the ground.  This wouldn't normally have been detected until network play was added back.

So, all that being said, there was an effect I hadn't really counted on.  It seems to really add an extra sense of vastness to scenes.  The following picture illustrates this well, I think.  I could have taken it from exactly the same "camera spot" and I don't think it would have had the same affect.  The sense of scale is really improved.  Furthermore, because my camera is moving 3 meters behind the player's head, it adds a real sense of depth that isn't normally there.

So while it feels to me more immersive to be in the head... I think dramatically it may be appropriate to occasionally pop back out.  At any rate, for now, F7 toggles this.

The world clipping is done pretty well now.  I spent a few hours on it.  And if you are backed up too close to a wall, it simply reverts to first person.  I also think that for climbing ladders, I may resort to a tight-shot third person view even if you start out in first person.

The other thing I will add is a sense of environment.  So if you are walking through cramped caves or dungeons, the camera distance will tighten up and stay there.  1) it's better at providing the sense of tightness, 2) it makes the camera bob in and out less due to world clipping.

...anyway, I'm pretty pleased with it and look forward to clamping down on a bunch of physics/collisions problems.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:09:55 AM by pspeed » Logged
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »

Well even though you know my stance on third person what you posted is nice.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »

i just like to see how my person looks. Character looks and customization is important to me.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »

I don't use third person but it's nice to have for those that like it.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »

I don't favour 3rd person as well, not as convenient with PC stuff, especially within sandbox games. Visuals are harder to make the outline of the selected block, ect. The only beneficial part I see within 3rd person is if there is an enemy sneaking up behind you, that you will spot them more likely before they strike.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »

I don't care that much. Tongue

I think a lot of that "vastness" might still be achieved if you were in first person and you saw other players. Maybe the dynamic effect is different, though.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »

I don't care that much. Tongue

I think a lot of that "vastness" might still be achieved if you were in first person and you saw other players. Maybe the dynamic effect is different, though.

Yeah, for still shots it's the same but you are right it's the dynamicness that makes it really different.  The fact that the camera is now panning 3 meters behind your head.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »

3rd person will at least be a cool perspective when fighting and killing monsters

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: