Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 08:50:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Discussion #16 (5/9/15)  (Read 4488 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2015, 01:32:11 AM »

Today I had a discussion with my family about my hair. My hair is pretty lengthy, and for every reason they have against it, I have six; as is with many things in my life.

Their main concern -- by no means an invalid one, was that I'd get burned because of it later on; all while boasting their knowledge of the "first impressions are everything" slogan.

What do you think of the use of appearance as a means to make judgements about a person? How do you evaluate a person? How do you believe judging by appearance has shaped society?

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 02:25:17 AM »

I think judging by appearance is unavoidable, myself. It's a natural phenomena, most easily recognized by 'sexual selection' in nature. That said, it's disappointing that humanity attempts to elevate itself above the animal kingdom... yet has difficulty abstaining from this phenomena.

For those that don't know how this kind of profiling works... think of everything you know as a taxonomic species(If you're confused as to what I mean, check out this awesome illustration here). Now, imagine my hair as a species. My hair has specific characteristics unlike any other hairdo out there... but there's a genus of hair that shares many of my hair's characteristics in many other men; a genus that many are familiar with. That's about as far as people go when evaluating my hair, and they would no doubt harken back to an age of cannabis and fros' when they see it. Let's assume that the inclusiveness of this Genus's Family extended to female hairdos, however. Now, you have completely different stereotypes on this other side. Tied back hair becomes professional.

We all do this kind of stuff; this act of categorizing the world... but there's a point where these things... stop working. Take whales and tuna, for instance. They both have similar looking fins on the outside, but they're worlds different, in reality; whale fins are more like our hands than the tuna fins.

In short, we like to categorize things. It's great to be able to identify X based on Y, Z, and A at a glance... but Y, Z, and A doesn't always accurately find B, C, and D in something; the important stuff. It's efficient, the same way speeding is efficient for a commuter.

When I evaluate someone, I don't really care about their hairstyle. It's just an outlet. While I don't often act on what i see, I do look at how much makeup a person wears and their attire. There is a point where I'll say no to the idea of talking to them just on the basis of them looking like a painted doll; or because their shirt is "ratchet". I'm fine with neon pink pants, malodor(which is common for some reason), crazy hair, and all that other stuff. So long as you dress like an actual person and not a mannequin I'd likely be fine talking to you.

Beyond that, yes, I judge them by their facial expressions and behavior, but I also judge them just by the vibes they give off and their interest in literature. With a friend, their history comes into it.

As a country, the US has only just begun recovering from overzealous visual profiling. It's found in racism, sexism, ageism, and now, I suppose, hairism. Has it made society a better place? No, of course not. Has it made it more efficient? Absolutely. A person can profile you in seconds, or spend days evaluating you in earnest. It introduces a nasty risk of missing out on meeting a cool person, but is still handy insurance, I suppose.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:53:08 AM »

Just an FYI: my hair is down past my waist.  I keep it tied back because I like it that way and because it keeps it out of the way.  I started growing it out when I was 15 or so.

In my profession, it was probably more of a help than a hindrance as the "long haired computer geek" had an aura of genius or something.  When I was young, sometimes people assumed I knew what I was talking about when I really didn't.  Now it's pretty normal.  A significant number of people I know have or had long hair at one time or another.  We don't even really think about it anymore.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »

Just an FYI: my hair is down past my waist.  I keep it tied back because I like it that way and because it keeps it out of the way.  I started growing it out when I was 15 or so.

In my profession, it was probably more of a help than a hindrance as the "long haired computer geek" had an aura of genius or something.  When I was young, sometimes people assumed I knew what I was talking about when I really didn't.  Now it's pretty normal.  A significant number of people I know have or had long hair at one time or another.  We don't even really think about it anymore.
My oldest brother is blonde (dirty blonde) with hair down around his lower back. Can confirm gaming and computer person.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: