Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 04:31:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Mythruna "Story"  (Read 94070 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

I hesitate to use the word "story" because I will steer away from hard-coded long story lines whenever possible.  After all, I want to be able to play the game myself... so any strict story that would be ruined by knowing the ending makes it less fun for me.  My hope is that the interacting systems and complex AI will create its own adventures.  That being said, I do have a theme and concept that I work from when deciding what will go in the standard game and what won't (community mods not included).

To that end, I have even fully story boarded a game trailer that I will produce after alpha.

From the very earliest thinkings of Mythruna, before I ever created the first start menu, this is the back story...

We, the players, come from a race or world that detected a distant shattering of a world.  That world became projected across multiple dimensions creating the infinite number of worlds of Mythruna.  Through science and magic, we learned to project ourselves into these worlds to live out lives there.  There may have originally been a purpose to these visits but over time our society has forgotten exactly why we do it.  It's basically up to us to figure out what we want to accomplish.

Being from another world/dimension, we possess a magic aura that is unique to the world and allows us to understand and power magic devices in ways that the normal inhabitants can't.  We even have the ability to plug certain types of magic devices right into our bodies to alter our abilities.

With this magic aura comes a down side...

For thousands of years, the dragons of Mythruna have been asleep underground.  To normal inhabitants they would resemble giant stone statues if they find them at all.  Rock will grow around them to cover them back up if one is found my a normal Mythruna denizen.  The magic aura that gives us players our power will also wake these dragons up if we come in close proximity.

In the design, these dragons are fairly large.  A single eye is a bout a meter wide... which means the dragons would stand somewhere around 40 meters tall (40 blocks high) if I can make that work. 

Once awakened they will become a hugely destructive force on the surrounding area.  Within a square kilometer, villages and towns will be under constant thread of destruction, crops will be burned, and animal populations will be decimated.  For the normal inhabitants, it's pretty much a move or die situation.  And those inhabitants won't be very happy with you for having released such a plague upon them.

Obviously, killing a dragon will require huge amounts of magic and/or teamwork.  The drops will be incredible, though.  Realistically you could buy kingdoms for what you'd get in dragon scales and dragon's blood alone.  Then there will the magic gem and crystal drops, etc..  Consequently, killing a dragon should be nearly impossible.

At any rate, dragons have played an important part in my conceptualizing the game almost from the very beginning when I had a dream of a miner digging his way deep... suddenly finding what looked like a giant eye staring back at him through the hole he just made.  Only moments to decide what to do before dying.
sameer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:14:21 PM »

Wow, thats a pretty good concept, Dragons. I love to fight Dragons, and especially when they are nearly impossible to kill. Hehe.

I like the concept of waking up dragons too  Shocked

Great job! Lets all eagerly wait for this to get implemented.  Cool

Also, hmmm, what if we go deep under, steal a dragon's egg , bring him up ourselves as a pet? And the pet will grow and be human friendly. We can then make them guards for our village, to protect from evil dragons. ?? Cheesy

Just some crazy idea lol. What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:16:08 PM by sameer » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:01:31 PM »

I've always like the idea of riding on a dragon's back, but the real dragons would be too big for that.  I hope to have some kind of lesser dragons like wyrmlings or something... big enough to ride if you tame them but not smart and magical like dragons.

It may turn out to be impossible but we'll see.  After horses I will have a better idea what it takes to put a rideable creature together.
sameer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:18:54 AM »

Yes finally! Cheesy Ridalble dragons  Shocked . Yea seems pretty hard to accomplish tough.

We can ride horses, they seem less awakward.  Roll Eyes
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »

I like the story, however, I feel it's a bit... poor? I know you said you don't wan't to make a storuy you already know the end, but I think it would be great to have really history. I mean, give the world of Mythruna a mean. Like important happenings, and stuff that changed the history of Mythruna. After that I think it would be easier to create a story-line that would derivate from the consequences of such far far away happenings.

What you think? Cheesy
I would be pleased to help writing the story of Mythruna. Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »

I don't want to do too much until I figure out how much of the story writes itself.  There is a whole generated world and even though the computer popped it instantly into existence, there are towns and cities that needed to have some sort of history.  The more I can generate that, the better.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:01:08 AM »

with a given storyline the players wount be able to have their own stories.
So its more like a setting.
Mythruna is not like a 'normal' RPG, you have a story, a final goal, reach it after couple of hours and sidequests, watch the credits and are done. Mythruna will have a setting and some towns with their histories, but whats next is up to the player.

Well thats my point of view hopefully I'm not that wrong Cheesy
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:23:20 AM »

I think you got it just right.

If I can, I will even try to keep a running log of the major things that the player did in case they want to weave it into a story to post somewhere. Smiley  Someday.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »

So is the land the players are in... called mythruna or...? what
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »

Yeah, that was the idea.

There was a single world called Mythruna once a long time ago and it exploded/shattered somehow that projects it into different forms in multiple universes.  Which is how I explain why you can visit an effectively infinite number of unique worlds that are all similarly setup.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »

Worlds being "servers" right?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »

Worlds being "servers" right?

Yep, or single player games where you dial in a coordinate into the nexus portal machine... which essentially equates to the random seed for that world.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »

So, wait a minute. Are we like, from the future? Like with PEW PEW lazors, and space ships etc???
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 05:55:46 PM »

So, wait a minute. Are we like, from the future? Like with PEW PEW lazors, and space ships etc???

No.  Even if you were, you brought none of that with you.  You are given a new body when you arrive and otherwise only have the material from the destination.  There may be an exception for things like notes and books (ie: paper) but I haven't decided.

http://mythruna.com/about-mythruna/origin/
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »

Well, maybe you could add a few like notes or paper. Maybe even a few books that tell you more of that history! That would be awesome to find in a library... Its not a "Story" but you could always read about what happened and find out the truth in books.. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: