Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 04:35:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Races  (Read 141011 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 11:54:32 PM »

I thought you were in charge of that. Lol Tongue

Smiley

Yeah, but I don't know how flexible I'll be making the body type selection.  Depends on about 10 different other things working as designed.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 12:49:10 AM »

You could simply tell us instead of teasing us Cheesy

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
xzardas

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 01:14:58 PM »

hmm paul what race is gonna be have the major alchemy and crafting..
i hope the cat race has a good alchemy skill and medium crafting skill and also some kind of stealing or sneaking.
cuz i love cat races in games. they r just so amazingly awesome.

yeah right. Max 300; characters remaining: 254
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »

hmm paul what race is gonna be have the major alchemy and crafting..
i hope the cat race has a good alchemy skill and medium crafting skill and also some kind of stealing or sneaking.
cuz i love cat races in games. they r just so amazingly awesome.

For crafting, I think it depends on the crafting and the material.  In general, the Simians will have a bonus to most types of crafting.  Dwarfs will have a bonus to any type of stone and metal crafting.

Alchemy based on natural ingredients will be strong in reptilians, pantherians, and elves.  The reptilians may have extra abilities for incorporating non-nature elements like gems and crystals.  And as far as the non-player characters go, the different races will have their different specialties.  With reptilians and poison on one end and elves and healing on the other.

And I think if you want the best short bows, you would buy from an Avian.  My guess is that pound-for-pound they would be the best/strongest bows for the size for anything less than a long bow.  And especially crossbows.

Though I'm inclined to have elves be pretty good bow crafters as well... famous for the longbow in many stories.  But considering an elf's disdain for hacking up a tree... elven bows will be rare and expensive because if an elf makes a bow it would usually be for personal use.

Pantherians versus Reptilians, re: hunting:
Pantherians would be the fast and silent hunters.  Their minds and culture are geared to invisibly stalking a prey to within striking distance and then dealing quick death in a dash.  They have good low-light vision but give off tons of heat that any infrared sensing creature would see.  Downwind you'd be able to smell them, too... but they know this and will attack against the wind if possible.

Reptilians are the silent and slow hunters.  They conserve their energy.  Their strategy prefers total stealth above all else and could pick off members of a herd without the rest of the herd being alerted.  They are cold blooded and can be nearly invisible to infrared sensitive creatures and they give off virtually no smell.  Their entire culture is built around this idea.  Poisons, patience, and stealth.

If you are attacked by a group of Pantherians then you probably never heard them coming until they spring out of the dark in a flash and start attacking.

If you are attacked by a group of Reptilians then you are probably already standing in the middle of them and don't even know it.  Your first indicator would be wondering why your friend is lying on the ground gurgling.  Beware the deserts if you are an enemy of the reptilian tribes.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

It sounds like a group of Dwarves and Reptilians would be very complimentary to each other. Gem crafting + Stone and Metal crafting, and two different combat styles that I think will work well if organized correctly. Hopefully the two cultures can get together and make some amazing fortresses (or something along the lines of that).

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
ranger10700

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 10:28:49 PM »

Just thought id add my input to the orc/ogre/whatever thingy. Perhaps the orc could be a sub-race of elf? Considering the elves are a peaceful, quite dormant race and the Simians are a very active, experimental race, I dont see why the Simians wouldnt try some genetic experimentation nonsense and fail miserably and create an orc thing. Ofcourse, one wouldnt be enough for a whole race, so for story-sake, perhaps they had a massive lab filled with these experiments, and one escaped and "somehow" released all of its friends and they bred in the wilds and caves.

I know this is very cliche, but eh. I dont see how an orc would come to exist from a reptillian, but thats just me Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »

I know this is very cliche, but eh. I dont see how an orc would come to exist from a reptillian, but thats just me Tongue

I wasn't going to make a classic orc... just the type of character one would play.  Big, burly, ugly, not too smart, etc.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »

Will the Elves have a bonus to toy crafting?

From Bay12Forums
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 02:53:04 PM »

Will the Elves have a bonus to toy crafting?

Hehe... someone had to ask it. Smiley

I think in Mythruna worlds, Monkey-men would be the toy crafters. Smiley
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »

Are the Simians supposed to be weak, yet agile? And good crafters yet weaker in combat (so they use mechanisms or more complicated tools in fighting)?

So the elves will be the more dexterous military-focused race. Higher strength or toughness (or magic). Simians would have higher skills that are perhaps more indirect. (intelligence? kinesthetic sense? Cheesy)

I also suggest, if you're actually doing some sort of attribute system, that you have, say, furniture making be based more on strength, and crafting smaller things influenced by dexterity. Throw some creativity in there of course! That might help balance things a bit. I actually do not know exactly what you are planning. I do hope it's Rpg-ish (Dwarf Fortress, *cough cough*)

Not that Mythruna will be a copy of Dwarf Fortress in anyway. In fact, the way skills are handled in that game is kinda bad. Kinda. Tongue
Sorry, I'd just like to know more about the games mechanics xD
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:01:35 PM by ayoriceball » Logged

From Bay12Forums
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »

I think each race should seem like it could survive independently.  So each race will have a variety of "subclasses".  For example, there may be large gorilla men which are the warriors and the smaller monkey-men are the tinkerers and craftsmen. 

Elves are in tune with the earth and would likely not kill aggressively any living creature.  There warriors would tend to be very skilled in defensive tactics as their plan would be to outlast an opponent.  They are skilled hunters only in that they are very experienced (from living a long time) and because they prefer to bring animals down in one kill and only for need.

In real life, I actually _do_ make furniture and I'm not a very strong person.  You learn ways to work around it... and a simian would be no less strong than a human, in general.

But to reiterate, each race would have lived independently before humans arrived to draw them together... so each race, within their own cultural limits, would have had to fill all of the roles necessary for survival.  They each would have their scholars, farmers, craftsmen, warriors, priests/shaman, and leaders.  The way those take shape would be different.  For example, Avians probably have a limited warrior sect since they would be more likely to just leave at the sign of conflict but they would have hunters and ways to defend their pre-flight-capable young.

Where as in the pantherian and reptilian races, probably nearly everyone has warriors skills to some degree.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »

Very interesting indeed. These ideas of yours are great. Also, in the first post, you state that Avians carry their possessions with them. Do they carry these things in their "inventory"?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 09:26:54 PM by ayoriceball » Logged

From Bay12Forums
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 10:46:11 PM »

Very interesting indeed. These ideas of yours are great. Also, in the first post, you state that Avians carry their possessions with them. Do they carry these things in their "inventory"?

Yes... which could be spread out in bags and containers that they wear.  The only exception to this is in the aeries where they raise their young that are either too young to travel or too heavy to carry in a brief period before they are capable of flight.  These aeries are inaccessible except to the best climbers and are almost exclusively built in the tops of mountains in colder climates (a natural way to avoid reptilian attackers).  I'm still not sure how the engine will generate these yet... though some may be in the tops of ancient ruins also.

Note: the subtle implication is that weight and size matter with respect to inventory... like a real RPG.  Though, I will treat raw materials differently because no one would ever realistically be able to carry around even 1 cubic meter of stone let alone little piles of 64 cu. meters each. Wink  Players will start with some kind of magic storage device for raw materials.  This was supposed to be hooked into their builder wand for removing and placing raw resources... but removing blocks may turn out to be through more traditional means (shovels and picks) than I'd originally designed in the early days and simplifies the magic systems that would have to be in place to support such a thing.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 10:48:53 PM »

And note also: just because a natural Avian would carry all of his possessions doesn't mean that we the players have to.  We are other-world beings inhabiting a body constructed for us.  Other than the physical limits this places on us, we don't have to live exactly as they do.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »

You could probably type up an "essay" on this. I'm sure I and alot of other people would enjoy it. Or just do a recording of yourself talking for 45 minutes. That would be nice too.

That answered almost every question I have, thank you.

From Bay12Forums
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: