Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 02:28:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: Races  (Read 140909 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »

Clothing options with even full face ninja masks that only show the eyes would be a good basic option.
That would make a cool custom skin!
I hope we can make clothes with enough detail to do that sort of thing.

Me too.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2013, 06:05:04 AM »

The Sims all over again. Cheesy

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
X3n0ph083

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »

One image that keeps springing to my mind when thinking of the Reptilians is the cover of a book by Stan Nicholls.

He has written a trilogy called 'Orcs', the second of which is called Legion of Thunder. I cannot recall the name of the race in question as it's been a long time since I read them, but they are water dwelling. I think this could be a good source of inspiration for the aquatic reptilians. Personally, I like their general physiology, but I think a more reptilian head would be in order:

I apologize for the lack of detail in my description, but if that means you read the books to understand then I don't mind, one of the favorites of my childhood Smiley
Zorro

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »

Just recently stumbled upon this game and I can tell that it will be great, but I have one suggestion. Maybe it is just me but your class list seems to be lacking a mercenary-esque war loving class. I feel that a good addition to the list would be a canine based class, fitting the above concepts and it could feud with the Pantherian class and maybe even have subspecies. Just my thoughts.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »

Just recently stumbled upon this game and I can tell that it will be great, but I have one suggestion. Maybe it is just me but your class list seems to be lacking a mercenary-esque war loving class. I feel that a good addition to the list would be a canine based class, fitting the above concepts and it could feud with the Pantherian class and maybe even have subspecies. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the comments.

The pantherians and reptillians are already pretty warlike... but the pantherians even fight within their own race.  As described somewhere above, you have the lion-like pantherians and the tiger-like pantherians that are pretty much constantly at war.  Everything else, panthers, cheetahs, etc. are mercenaries.  They will fight for either side if the price is right.  Or for anyone else, really.

Here as an excerpt from a story I was writing the covers a pantherian mercenary character:
Kyra smoothed down the black fur on her forearms and dabbed the blood at the corner of her mouth with her thumb.  She spat a short stream of red-tinted saliva onto the pantherian male laid unconscious in a heap at her feet.

The adrenaline rush was waning and she surveyed the damage she had inflicted.  Tam's short cropped mane was sticky with blood and his face was covered in scratches.  His wide nose was broken and bleeding.  She hadn't intended to make it personal but her emotions had gotten the better of her.  Tam would be scarred but he would live.  Maybe even be wiser for it.

She nudged him onto his back with her toe.  “Drag this cur to his bedroll”, she ordered without taking her eyes from him.  It would be a while before he slept in hers again, she thought.

She knew familiarity always led to this sort of insubordination.  Though mistakes had clearly been made, it was not his place to call them out or assign her the blame, and certainly not in the middle of a meeting.  She could kick herself now for fraternizing with Tam so frequently.
Still, he had been the most handsome option among a group of poor choices.  Mercenaries were not known for their good looks, after all.  She shook off the thought.  More than ever, discipline and strategy had to trump carnal needs.
Kyra watched as Mara and one of the other males dragged Tam out of the circle.  All other eyes waited patiently for Kyra to speak but she waited for Mara to return and sit down at her right side before continuing.

“As I was saying”, and she spat again for effect.  “We made the decision to come here based on good information.  All of the pack leaders were in agreement at the time that this was a good opportunity to get paid.  Maybe the gold was even a little too good but it was still worth checking out.”

She looked around at the other females for agreement.  They all nodded and stiffened a little as if to ward off further argument from the rest of the group.

“Now that we are stuck here there is no longer any use arguing about the hows”, she continued.  “I'm tired of hiding in a cave like a lizard man.  Or sitting around by the fire just thinking all day like some fat old monkey!”

“Here! Here!”, shouted Mara amongst a chorus of vocal agreement from the pack.

When the noise abated Kyra continued, “We only have bad options but at least they are clear enough.”

Her tongue played with the tips of her fangs as if counting them and recounting them while she let that idea sink into the group.  She walked toward the mouth of the cave and pointed in the rough direction of town, dark rain obscuring the view beyond a few feet.

Kyra chose her words carefully, “We can stay here, safe and snug in our little cave, hoping the Whispers don't find us and waiting for some other air ship to make port with the tower in town.”  She looked around the room making sure everyone was bristling appropriately at the thought of further hiding.

“Or”, she continued and pointed in roughly the opposite direction, “we can take matters into our own hands and head overland to one of the other towns.”  And hope the Whispers haven't made it there yet, she thought to herself.

“Either we find another transport off of this lump or we improve our options in some other way”, she said with a shrug.  “Maybe we even find out what happened to our contact.”

She walked back to the center of the circle near the fire, admiring the tall shadow her body cast on the wall.  She looked over towards Tam still unconscious in a lump on his bedroll.

“Now”, she emphasized the first word as if speaking directly to Tam, “is the time for discussion if there is any to be had.”

She stood waiting.  Mara stood without hesitation and walked to Kyra's side.  Soon, the rest of the commanders joined her by the fire.  No further discussion would be necessary.

“Get your things in order and get some rest.  We leave when the dawn mist is still fresh on the grass”, she said before heading to her own bedroll.

Sleep came quickly despite the bruises Tam had inflicted.  Soon her head filled with dreams haunted by thoughts of the Whispers, a nightmare having somehow returned to the world from legend.

The rain had stopped but the morning mists hung thick in the air.  The shadowy trees stood as dark sentinels around the mercenaries and the fog swallowed the sounds of their passing.  The squish of boots in mud was all that could be heard as the armed panther-men made their way through the fields.

Pants and boots were the only consistent clothing among them but each male carried a wide array of weaponry of different shapes and sizes.  Knives were strapped along their midriffs or in belts and at least two swords at each waist, sometimes three or four.  A very few even carried longbows.  All of them had shields strapped over their backs.

Their fur colors also varied.  More than half of the men had thick black coats, some with manes down to their waist.  Others were various shades of gray or brown.  Only two of the men had spotted patterns over their bodies.  These two had no mane to speak of and the spots stopped short of their head and chest.

Despite the differences in their appearance, there was a uniformity to them.  They moved as one unit, a well trained column of fifty fighters marching double-file through the underbrush.

Kyra and the other women were not among them. 

She and the ten other female commanders were scouting the flanks in a long staggered V formation.  They ran silently through the trees, running serpentine through the growth, not even leaving footprints behind.  Fanning out behind the V were the other fifty female warriors.  Ghosts in the mist, the pantherian women covered sixty or more paces to either side of the column and another twenty or so paces bringing up the rear.

Counter to the variety of the males, each woman wore one of two uniforms depending on her status.  The regular warriors and lieutenants wore brown-green leather pants with a black leather vest.  Instead of boots or shoes, their feet were strapped with leather around the toes and calf, leaving the majority of the hairless foot and heel exposed.

Over one shoulder, each warrior sheathed a curved sword strapped carefully to their backs.  Holstered on either side of their abdomens were pantherian fighting daggers.  The curved razor sharp knives were distinct with a serrated section guarding the handle.  In the hands of a trained panther-female, the blades were swift and deadly.

The commanders each wore black cloth pants and a minimal armless black shirt with a wide open neck.  The weapons complement was the same except that half the women had a second sword and the other half had a short bow and copse of arrows strapped over the other shoulder.

So it was that this cloud of barely checked death-in-waiting passed silently over the island of Martoc.  Hours passed with no other sign of civilization or wildlife.

Kyra waved to her right, pointed at her eyes with two fingers and then to an outcropping ahead and to the right.  She repeated this signal to her left and then took off at a double run.

The straight run felt good and her muscles were aching for more when she reached the top of the bluff.  Constantly keeping apace with the column in slow zigzagging sprints always made her antsy.  She thought about taking a small scouting party ahead but knew it was just an excuse to run flat-out for a while.  Sacrificing tactical advantage for personal desires would have to wait for another time.  It seemed to be a recurring theme, lately.

From a pocket on her thigh, she pulled a small spyglass and surveyed the surrounding area.  The sun was high in the sky now and had long ago burned off the fog.  To the west, the valley they had traveled stretched away to the mountain pass.  Farther than she could see would be the now-deserted town of Goldpoint.  There were no signs that they had been followed but that was not particularly surprising.  If the legends are to be believed then the Whispers don't travel during the day anyway.

To the east, the rolling hills continued, punctuated by stands of trees and cut with the occasional stream.  This grassland ended abruptly at some jagged cliffs another half days travel away.  She frowned and then started poking the tip of her left fang with her tongue.
Mara crept up silently behind her commander.  Kyra handed back her spyglass without even looking over her shoulder.  Mara looked a little dejected at the lack of surprise but Kyra's second-in-command took the spyglass just the same.

“Hmmm...”, Mara said while scanning the horizon, “I suppose it would be too much to ask for a stairway?”  She hissed a small chuckle before continuing, “Or at least a pass.”

“There should be a break a bit to the south”, said Kyra.  “According to the maps, Fairlyn should be down there somewhere and there should be a cut in the cliffs.”

Mara interjected, “Though, it wouldn't be the first information we've gotten wrong on this trip.”

Kyra nodded shortly.  “I'm still betting that what happened at Goldpoint is responsible for our missed meeting.”

Mara handed her back the spyglass and Kyra smoothly slipped it back into its pocket before adding, “Something about this makes my teeth twitch.”

Mara nodded and said, “Anyway, the muscle-heads are catching up to us.”

Kyra stretched her legs and smiled, “Hmmm, if we pick up the pace then we can hopefully make Fairlyn before dusk.”  She smiled at Mara and took off at a full run, leaving her friend to fall in behind her.

A dozen seconds later, Kyra and Mara returned to formation and signaled the other commanders to change pace.  Within minutes the orders were passed down the line and the column began to move at a quick-march.

Kyra hoped her map was correct.  If not, there would be a long and dangerous night ahead of them.

For various reasons, I don't really have a place for another race in my set as each was already carefully chosen to be distinct and fit in a specific way.  A canine race would just be too similar to the pantherian race.  And comparatively, I have trouble imagining a canine race ever being better fighters than the pantherians.  I mean kobolds (if I get to them) will be fairly canine-like but they are essentially cannon fodder.  Smaller, not very smart, and easily commanded.  Not really a good playable race.  (Note: there will be 'races' that are not playable.)

That doesn't mean someone couldn't add a canine race as a mod, though.
Hyperdust

As Above, So Below

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2014, 05:03:50 AM »

Interesting.

I decided to just attack downward recently and found that the ground...really doesn't go that far down. It makes me wonder what dwarves' cities will look like, and how far down you'll let the world go upon full release.

That being said, one of my main prerogatives in this game is to build underground skyscrapers, and eventually ecosystems like the Rhizome Tower project. Yet I'd be a Reptilian.

The point is to build cities in which the environment is so surreal that generally only Reptilians would be able to really call it home. It would be interesting to see how Dwarven players react to this, especially if it leads to war.

I guess this also brings up another question: In what areas do Dwarves have underground settlements? How would their settlements affect aboveground civilizations with swamps and other features that rely on secure ground?

Skyscrapers are built up till ya hit the sky.

So what would you call em bein built down? Mantlescrapers?

Ell if I know. I just make em.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2014, 07:18:38 AM »

The block limit will see significant increases in the future.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2014, 08:02:15 AM »

The allocation of block height will always be limited.  I do plan to expand it to the maximum I can support but this is more likely to result in above ground increases rather than below.

Dwarves will be building cities in mountains, though.  So it does help there.

Any modern reptilian caves are very primitive.  Any ancient caves will likely also be at least partially mountain based and date from a time when the ocean was there... at least conceptually (maybe the ground shifted or whatever).  Non-desert dwelling reptilians are in ocean cities and even though there is only 57 blocks of sea level to bedrock, I think there is plenty of room to make impressive underwater cities.

True skyscrapers are kind of out of the question in any case.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2014, 09:13:37 AM »

Underground skyscrapers? Isn't that an oxymoron? Wouldn't they be groundscapers?
Rexirl
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »

Apparently there's already an "Earthscraper" in the works (in what is usually called reality). It seems like a cool idea, though I have no idea whether or not such an architecture could really be feasible; inspiring, at least, the concept might be.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: