Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 04:17:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Skills and training...  (Read 104956 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »

Makes sense, you don't want to have to spend ages finding someone willing to teach you the obvious, although I think firemaking could be something you could improve on ingame. E.g. maybe it can be easier to get a proper fire going, or you can make a longer-lasting fire if you're learnt how. I think pretty much anything the boyscouts have a badge for would make sense as a skill. :L

Yeah... some skills will be easy to pick up, too.  But if I hand you flint and steal and some cotton wool and show you how to spark and light it... you can now light a basic fire.

Note that some things will also be covered by the player's skill.  The actual construction of a real camp fire might just be something the player has to do and learn.  Adding the wood at the right times.  Basic "cook meat over fire" may be similar... not a learned skill but an experimented skill.  ie: everyone can do it if they know how.  "Learning the skill" in these cases may just be "getting the recipe".

When you asked the question I was kind of on the fence about cooking... and now I remember why.  Like smithing, a baking skill might give you extra "senses" that let you know when you are supposed to do stuff (you can see somehow when the batter is mixed right or has risen enough to beat down again or whatever) but you might technically be able to do some of the steps without having specifically "learned" them if you just get lucky or learn the timings.  We'll see.

The more "physically" based I can make the world the better in the long run and the more it opens up potential for player conceived in-game optimizations that I didn't think of.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2012, 07:15:44 PM »

can't wait for some skills to be implemented. just to see how you're gonna go about it.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2012, 08:28:19 AM »

Would instrument playing be possible as a skill?

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »

I hope so.  That's perhaps tougher than regular skills but we'll see.  Being a musician myself and knowing several "bard" type people, it's always in the back of my mind... but no promises. Smiley
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »

Makes sense, you don't want to have to spend ages finding someone willing to teach you the obvious, although I think firemaking could be something you could improve on ingame. E.g. maybe it can be easier to get a proper fire going, or you can make a longer-lasting fire if you're learnt how. I think pretty much anything the boyscouts have a badge for would make sense as a skill. :L

Yeah... some skills will be easy to pick up, too.  But if I hand you flint and steal and some cotton wool and show you how to spark and light it... you can now light a basic fire.

Note that some things will also be covered by the player's skill.  The actual construction of a real camp fire might just be something the player has to do and learn.  Adding the wood at the right times.  Basic "cook meat over fire" may be similar... not a learned skill but an experimented skill.  ie: everyone can do it if they know how.  "Learning the skill" in these cases may just be "getting the recipe".

When you asked the question I was kind of on the fence about cooking... and now I remember why.  Like smithing, a baking skill might give you extra "senses" that let you know when you are supposed to do stuff (you can see somehow when the batter is mixed right or has risen enough to beat down again or whatever) but you might technically be able to do some of the steps without having specifically "learned" them if you just get lucky or learn the timings.  We'll see.

The more "physically" based I can make the world the better in the long run and the more it opens up potential for player conceived in-game optimizations that I didn't think of.
+1 like a mofo

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »

I hope so.  That's perhaps tougher than regular skills but we'll see.  Being a musician myself and knowing several "bard" type people, it's always in the back of my mind... but no promises. Smiley
at first i thought you said ''bird'' not ''bard'' at first, because my friend knows how to do amazing bird calls, its unbelievable.
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »

OMFG that'll be cool.
I wanna be able to play some tunes while walking from one place to another :L

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
danny

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 05:49:56 AM »

I know I'm entering the discussion late.  Sorry, I just discovered the game this week.

I always liked skills that had a reflection of player skill.  For example, if your careful enough as a player in the lock picking interface in Skyrim, you as a "novice" could pick advanced locks.

I think it would positively impact the game economy if complex crafting, like sword making required skillful player input.  The more precise the player is, the better the crafting result is.  As a demonstration of the concept, Epic Mickey for the 3ds has the player trace drawings to help Mickey draw new items.  The more accurately the player traces, the better the resulting item.

I could see this similar to an interface for skinning a deer.

I know this would add a lot to the programming and possibly server overhead, but I think it would add a lot of value to player crafted items.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »

I know I'm entering the discussion late.  Sorry, I just discovered the game this week.

I always liked skills that had a reflection of player skill.  For example, if your careful enough as a player in the lock picking interface in Skyrim, you as a "novice" could pick advanced locks.

I think it would positively impact the game economy if complex crafting, like sword making required skillful player input.  The more precise the player is, the better the crafting result is.  As a demonstration of the concept, Epic Mickey for the 3ds has the player trace drawings to help Mickey draw new items.  The more accurately the player traces, the better the resulting item.

I could see this similar to an interface for skinning a deer.

I know this would add a lot to the programming and possibly server overhead, but I think it would add a lot of value to player crafted items.

Yes, I will incorporate player skill wherever possible.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 03:29:41 PM »

But we should also make it to where the players who aren't so great with games have the possibility of creating a good weapon. Which the system "Easy,Medium,Hard" comes into play. Haha.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

But we should also make it to where the players who aren't so great with games have the possibility of creating a good weapon. Which the system "Easy,Medium,Hard" comes into play. Haha.

Or you buy the parts you have trouble making.
danny

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »

Awesome.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 12:54:23 PM »

^ this. if you suck at doing the player input crafting skills, do easy casual-player quests or even other activities that they *can* do, and use the money to buy what they can't do. i love that.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »

^ this. if you suck at doing the player input crafting skills, do easy casual-player quests or even other activities that they *can* do, and use the money to buy what they can't do. i love that.

It also helps facilitate in-game economy for servers that have enough players to support it.  Why would you buy a sword from another player if you could easily ham-fist your way through making a good one?

Crafting should involve an investment of time and skill in a proper balance to not be tedious.  The balance will be the trick.

Balancing that against the gold required to skip steps will be the other key.  Those who enjoy crafting shouldn't feel stupid for not just buying stuff... and those who find crafting a chore should have an alternative that isn't onerous.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »

It also helps facilitate in-game economy for servers that have enough players to support it.  Why would you buy a sword from another player if you could easily ham-fist your way through making a good one?

Crafting should involve an investment of time and skill in a proper balance to not be tedious.  The balance will be the trick.

Balancing that against the gold required to skip steps will be the other key.  Those who enjoy crafting shouldn't feel stupid for not just buying stuff... and those who find crafting a chore should have an alternative that isn't onerous.

some of that will be up to the price of services/player-made items, which in the end is at the discretion of the player economy.

Edit: fixed your quoting for you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:10:19 PM by pspeed » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: