Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 06:55:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New menus prototype...  (Read 16034 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:08:47 AM »

I've been working on a new GUI system for menus, controls, etc. and so I started prototyping the new main menus.

Here is the very super-early beginnings:
http://i.imgur.com/gxwr3.jpg

Unlike the old 2D slide around menu these are actually in 3D so I can lift and move the pages based on selection.  The torchlight is even animated... it kind of flickers as you sit there.  I like the idea of lifting and moving around the pages and having all of the menus on screen (at least partially) all the time.  It provides more context then the swishy transitions. 

And I can pretty easily bring in other objects to the desk as needed for server selection or world creation or whatever.  Initially I'll just be trying to replicate what's already there.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 02:04:08 AM »

It looks really good paul, just a question with the edges of the map with no anti analising it looks really horible would you change that just for the menu or not :p but overall the idea of having those pages able to move around is cooooool!!

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:38:29 AM »

It looks really good paul, just a question with the edges of the map with no anti analising it looks really horible would you change that just for the menu or not :p but overall the idea of having those pages able to move around is cooooool!!

It's just a prototype.  The map will be done differently in the final version but I'm reusing the one from the current menu right now.
ap0r

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »

Everyone loves parchment Cheesy
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:15:31 AM »

Everyone loves parchment Cheesy
darn right we do! i love having the map there also it looks very legit

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »

Dang. It looks somewhat realistic. So, when you click on a page it flips over with things on it? Like when you click options, it flips over with sensitivity, sounds, and stuff? Or did I just come up with that.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »

Dang. It looks somewhat realistic. So, when you click on a page it flips over with things on it? Like when you click options, it flips over with sensitivity, sounds, and stuff? Or did I just come up with that.

The pages will have the options listed under the title... kind of like they do now.  Except if you click the title then other pages will move out of the way so that you can see the whole page.  The other pages will still be partially visible so that you can click on them too to get them back.  If I can, I may actually "curl" the pages to get them out of the way rather than treating them like purely flat objects like they are now.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »

oh there still clicking sort of things, i thought you made them so we click and drag them off eachother to read them sort of thing. "click and drag options and multiplayer to the side to get to the single player sheet :p"

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »

oh there still clicking sort of things, i thought you made them so we click and drag them off eachother to read them sort of thing. "click and drag options and multiplayer to the side to get to the single player sheet :p"
that would get real annoying real quick, as soon as the initial wow-factor wore off

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »

that would get real annoying real quick, as soon as the initial wow-factor wore off

Yeah, most of us pretty quickly memorize when and where to click to get into the game the fastest.  Also, it needs to be cursor key/joystick navigable like the current version.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 03:38:14 AM »

I do like the prototype.
But the color of the letters (e.g. 'Single Player') should be darker and look older.
As it is now it looks to me like old paper with fresh ink on it, older ink would fit better

... just my opinion Smiley
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 04:01:43 AM »

I do like the prototype.
But the color of the letters (e.g. 'Single Player') should be darker and look older.
As it is now it looks to me like old paper with fresh ink on it, older ink would fit better

... just my opinion Smiley
huh... didn't even think about that. but now that you mention it that would look a bit better.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 07:16:12 AM »

I have a question though...
Everything on the image looks pretty much realistic-type except for the tilted map part (part w/ compass on it) that one has visible pixels.
Did you use a tilt command? like: (making it up)
class backgroundImage.tilt() {
tilt 15.degreesLeft
}
Eh? That kinda seems not reasonable, unless a lang is made to do that.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »

I have a question though...
Everything on the image looks pretty much realistic-type except for the tilted map part (part w/ compass on it) that one has visible pixels.
Did you use a tilt command? like: (making it up)
class backgroundImage.tilt() {
tilt 15.degreesLeft
}
Eh? That kinda seems not reasonable, unless a lang is made to do that.
Or, he designed the "Level" to have an object that was angled.

Edit: Nevermind, you'd need a map editor. Cheesy. That reminds me paul, could you make a map-editor in the future for singleplayer, so you can place blocks down like a blueprint Cheesy. Or you could add flying of some-sort to singleplayer.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »

i believe in the donators section he gave us the map generator....i could be wrong....maybe donate to find out Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: