Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:14:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Property System  (Read 81983 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »

5) Any ideas?

So many different things will happen between now and then that it makes no sense to design yet.  It may just naturally fall out of some other system.  I know you will be able to sell your property eventually and the game will provide some mechanic for doing so.  I'll do whatever makes sense when more of the other systems are in place.
Basically like once you get to making that idea into the game, you have to change up your original idea if it doesn't work with how the game works.

Basically, there is no reason to build a whole house just to figure out where I will hang a picture when later the house will be built anyway.  90% of the design-thinking would be wasted time.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »

5) Any ideas?

So many different things will happen between now and then that it makes no sense to design yet.  It may just naturally fall out of some other system.  I know you will be able to sell your property eventually and the game will provide some mechanic for doing so.  I'll do whatever makes sense when more of the other systems are in place.
Basically like once you get to making that idea into the game, you have to change up your original idea if it doesn't work with how the game works.

Basically, there is no reason to build a whole house just to figure out where I will hang a picture when later the house will be built anyway.  90% of the design-thinking would be wasted time.
But it does give you an idea of where the game is heading.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »

How rent will work isn't the direction the game is going. The game's direction will determine the rent system.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »

How rent will work isn't the direction the game is going. The game's direction will determine the rent system.
I already explained that.

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »

I must have missed something. Oh well.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 04:40:33 PM »

I must have missed something. Oh well.
What I said:

fudger123

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »

i can't place the flag anybody know what button
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »

i can't place the flag anybody know what button

You place it just like you do any other object.

Mouse wheel to "Property".  Hold the ctrl key and then mouse wheel to "Place Stronghold".  Then right click on the ground somewhere not near someone else's property.
Rothrod

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »

Hello, this is the first time that I write something in this forum. I think that your work is amazing, you are realizing something that I desidered from a long time Cheesy

I really like this Property System, but I think that the easier way to avoid "griefing" is like in real life. Why we don't destroy everything that we see?(such as walls etc...)
I think that the answer is : because this is impossible! It requires a lot of time!
Destroy a stone wall is impossible everywhere with bare hands, and with tools (like a pickaxe) it require a lot of time (1 cubic meter of stone in 5 second?XD).
So, my ideas is that destroy blocks should be possible everywhere, with some differences:

1) In any land that isn't yours, you take(for example) 5 minute to destroy a block of stone with a pickaxe(I don't know if you want to put tools in game, I'm assuming a lot of things XD)
2) In cities there may be guards that attack everyone that destroy a block without a permission
3) In your lands the time required to destroy a block is much less that in other place
4) Without the right tool you can't destroy a block (except for some object like tables, straw roofs etc..)

In this way is possible to conquer/attack/destroy enemy cities, that aren't indestructible...
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »

Hello, this is the first time that I write something in this forum. I think that your work is amazing, you are realizing something that I desidered from a long time Cheesy

I really like this Property System, but I think that the easier way to avoid "griefing" is like in real life. Why we don't destroy everything that we see?(such as walls etc...)
I think that the answer is : because this is impossible! It requires a lot of time!
Destroy a stone wall is impossible everywhere with bare hands, and with tools (like a pickaxe) it require a lot of time (1 cubic meter of stone in 5 second?XD).
So, my ideas is that destroy blocks should be possible everywhere, with some differences:

1) In any land that isn't yours, you take(for example) 5 minute to destroy a block of stone with a pickaxe(I don't know if you want to put tools in game, I'm assuming a lot of things XD)
2) In cities there may be guards that attack everyone that destroy a block without a permission
3) In your lands the time required to destroy a block is much less that in other place
4) Without the right tool you can't destroy a block (except for some object like tables, straw roofs etc..)

In this way is possible to conquer/attack/destroy enemy cities, that aren't indestructible...

I think you may underestimate the time that a griefer is willing to put in to be a jerk.

Either it takes so long that no one will do it and it's essentially like not being able to do it at all... or it's easy enough that a dedicated griefer will wreck everything.  If you make it hard but not impossible then the griefing will be even worse because now it's a challenge and a badge of "honor".
Rothrod

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »

Mmmh But how to conquer a city? To go through a 4 block depth stone wall you need something like 40 minutes...in 40 minutes an enemy player can kill the griefer, or simply stop the destroing...even more time is settable for destroing...in this way, during a city siege (15 players try to conquer a city defended by other 15 players, for example), defenders try to kill enemies, and attackers try to go through defenders wall...I think that this way discourages single "grifiers"(that destroy without reason), and encourages creation of community and cities...similarly to realty(sorry for the very bad english). Destroying I think is part of game and I hope that will be possible in this way....would bring a lot of strategy in game.
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »

Mmmh But how to conquer a city? To go through a 4 block depth stone wall you need something like 40 minutes...in 40 minutes an enemy player can kill the griefer, or simply stop the destroing...even more time is settable for destroing...in this way, during a city siege (15 players try to conquer a city defended by other 15 players, for example), defenders try to kill enemies, and attackers try to go through defenders wall...I think that this way discourages single "grifiers"(that destroy without reason), and encourages creation of community and cities...similarly to realty(sorry for the very bad english). Destroying I think is part of game and I hope that will be possible in this way....would bring a lot of strategy in game.

I think once wars can happen in game, there will be some sort of special set of rules for certain situation.
For now, let's just start with getting combat in game =p

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »

If players can do something then griefers will do that same something.  In mutiplayer you might not always be around to defend your town, anyway.

There will be some way to have town->town battles... but this is the cherry on the cake that has no batter yet.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »

If players can do something then griefers will do that same something.  In mutiplayer you might not always be around to defend your town, anyway.

There will be some way to have town->town battles... but this is the cherry on the cake that has no batter yet.
I suspect griefing other's towns will be a hard task. What kind of civilian is going to stand there letting you destroy their town?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »

I suspect griefing other's towns will be a hard task. What kind of civilian is going to stand there letting you destroy their town?

The dead ones.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: