Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 02:52:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cave pictures  (Read 16816 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »

Could I ask for an explanation as to why?

I'm curious because I did software development in college (but never took it any further) and have always toyed with the idea of making a game, and wondered about the sorts of obstacles that would be faced.

Why what?
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »

I'm curious because I did software development in college (but never took it any further) and have always toyed with the idea of making a game, and wondered about the sorts of obstacles that would be faced.

Why what?
For a second, I thought he questioned why I became inspired.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »

Why what?
For a second, I thought he questioned why I became inspired.

I think he was asking something related to fluid sand but all of those answers are long enough that I don't want to pick the wrong interpretation.
X3n0ph083

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »

...might be possible to adapt it to sand also.  It is not very likely as there are some short cuts I can take with water to make it feasible that will not work with things like sand.

Haha sorry about that. I meant how would it be possible to make sand also react like a fluid, if that is the direction you choose to go?
I hate to be the one that brings up Minecraft, but I find the water physics irritates me to hell (read: stickler for realism). Is it likely to be done in a similar way? I assume not, as that model would not work with sand very well.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »

...might be possible to adapt it to sand also.  It is not very likely as there are some short cuts I can take with water to make it feasible that will not work with things like sand.

Haha sorry about that. I meant how would it be possible to make sand also react like a fluid, if that is the direction you choose to go?
I hate to be the one that brings up Minecraft, but I find the water physics irritates me to hell (read: stickler for realism). Is it likely to be done in a similar way? I assume not, as that model would not work with sand very well.

The plan is to simulate water with sort of particles.  It requires some heavy data management and the rendering may become infeasible.  The goal is to be able to do things like drain mountain top lakes if you punch a hole in the bottom or have cascading waterfalls that can still be deflected by user created objects.  It's complicated.

Flowing sand may be better suited for a cellular automata approach like Minecraft uses for water but the trick is knowing when sand has drained.  It's possible that when I implement the water that a combination of cellular automata and fluid particles together will make for sand that drains and flows while still stacking into nice piles on the floor.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: