Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 10:34:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Now for the tweaking...  (Read 31546 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:02:45 AM »

And now begins the endless process of tweaking the color and the look of the flames so that it actually fits the rest of the scene.

I've highlighted in this image a particularly troublesome problem... it's a little blurry in the conversion but the same issue is on the docks in the lower right of the daytime pic.  While the close up looks nice and moody... from far away it just looks stupid.  And I'm not overly fond of the redness of the up close version now that it's in context.
http://i.imgur.com/dXgOd8w.jpg

So now I will start tweaking the colors... and I may do like the last flames and have them fade to alternate colors with distance (I had this problem before, you may remember).

I'll also have to find a light color that I like... a flexibility that I didn't have before.  I have it tweaked a bit too orange in those pics.

...but: progress.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »

Note: you may notice that the flames look identical in the lower right pic when they should vary from flame to flame.  That's an easy fix, I just haven't done it yet.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »

I notice that from the original flame (top-right picture) that its fluorescent light is yellow, but the new flame (bottom-right picture) contains more red in its fluorescent. Did you have to change that by yourself or does the engine actually grab the color of the image, and use that as the light fluorescent?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »

I notice that from the original flame (top-right picture) that its fluorescent light is yellow, but the new flame (bottom-right picture) contains more red in its fluorescent. Did you have to change that by yourself or does the engine actually grab the color of the image, and use that as the light fluorescent?

All old light was always white because there was no colored light.  Now when I create the block type, I give it a light value.  I just picked something randomly that I thought might be fire-like.  I have done zero tweaking on the color or brightness because I needed to get it into the engine before I could see that stuff anyway.

Now that I can compare old and new, it will be easier to tweak to get similar brightness and potentially less dramatic coloring.  It partially depends on what flame coloring I settle on which depends on the light color which depends on the flame color which depends on the light color... you get the idea. Wink
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »

I wish the new fire glowed a bit more like the old fire did.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »

the moodiness is ok, but it needs something to make it stand out from far away like the old flame did. somehow.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »

I wish the new fire glowed a bit more like the old fire did.

Yeah, it's 100% based on the brightness of the color... so if I make it more yellow and bright then it will glow more.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »

the moodiness is ok, but it needs something to make it stand out from far away like the old flame did. somehow.

Yep, it looks bad right now.  It was a few hours of work just to get it into the engine... so I will reserve a new set of "many hours" for making it look right. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »

As part of my sanity saving measures, I'm trying to first get the new flames to look close to the old ones... good parts and bad parts.  Then I can work towards making it better after I've got everything else the same.

As such, I've temporarily turned off colored lighting, tweaked the lighting models to be similar, etc..

This may be about as close as I can get to duplicating the old flames "aesthetic" with its problems and all:
http://i.imgur.com/KubiEKo.png

Now to try to take advantage of some of the new features to make it look better than the old.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »

It does look more flamey now. Great work.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »

I had doubts about the new flame, but that looks amazing (considering that you haven't added the 'coloured light' just yet), I just love the flow of it, great artistic abilities Paul (with the help of Photoshop). Best programming luck to you!
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:30 PM »

i agree with moonkey, it does look more flamey.

tbh i mainly just wanted to use the word flamey... but my comment stands.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »

Tried to figure out exactly why lighting was brighter before and stuff... spent the last two+ hours digging through lighting equations and stuff.

Some day, hardware will support real lighting with full radiosity solutions, etc.  Some young programmer will be complaining about how his frame rate drops a little when he has too many high albedo objects or something... and I will walk over and kick him in the shins.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 02:05:20 AM »

More random pics...

Showing how the flames vary now... so you shouldn't see repeats in general.

Same view as before but with slight lighting tweaks and the varied flames:

The classic temple... just thought it looked kind of cool:

I still need to add the wind effect from the old one... and this one should be a little better, too.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 04:26:09 AM »

ahah, it looks amazing now, lets see how the wind effect adds in Wink
Good luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: