Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 02:05:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: High Level Roadmap  (Read 101135 times)
Andy
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 07:01:53 AM »

Sounds (pun) awesome!
notsae

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »

creepy music Shocked hopefully not to creepy  Wink  Cool go for gold!  Grin
T. B. Jerremad
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »

In a lot of the character discussions, you mention ships and air ships.  I'd love to know more about those!

Can players build them?  Can we sail them ourselves?  Might large ships require other players to help crew?  Could NCP's be crew?  Can we own ships?  Since you're already planning on wind and ropes, might players have to set the sails in accordance to the wind in order to get movement?

I know it's a ton of questions, but as a sailor myself, I am very excited to hear what ideas you have!

You mention plans for steam and pipes... Steamboats?! Cheesy
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »

In a lot of the character discussions, you mention ships and air ships.  I'd love to know more about those!

Can players build them?  Can we sail them ourselves?  Might large ships require other players to help crew?  Could NCP's be crew?  Can we own ships?  Since you're already planning on wind and ropes, might players have to set the sails in accordance to the wind in order to get movement?

I know it's a ton of questions, but as a sailor myself, I am very excited to hear what ideas you have!

there will be ships and airships that you will be able to pilot yourself and have npc's help you crew, i believe wind will play a role in the function of these ships

and sailor as in just regular sailor for recreation, or military sailor
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »

hi jerremad from what i understand boats will be fully customization in how they look and how they are built just will need different resources to build bigger ships. we will be able to sail them and i  think npc's will be able to help us sail just like they will be able to help us build. im pretty sure we will be able to own the ships if we can afford to build them im guessing that they will cost or take alot of resources but im sure paul will clarify everything for you :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:39:24 PM »

As others have started, basically, pretty much yes to all of the above.  At least it's my plan.  All things subject to change when hit against reality. Smiley  (Beware, I'm about to ramble. Smiley)

Much like avian flight, it will probably be based on a simplified physics model.  It's easier for me to write and easier for the physics engine to handle.  That being said, wind and wind resistance should come into play and sails should work properly, to include being able to tack around the wind and so on.

Basically, ships and air ships will be able to be anything you can construct.  If you have enough anti-grav power, you could fly your castle around but you'd likely never find that much material to make all of the lift required.  Buoyancy will be a somewhat simplified model based on the materials and air cavities.

Depending on how the ship is built, it may require additional crew to maneuver properly.  For example, if tacking requires manning the rudder and multiple rope changes then the ship will be more agile if multiple folks are helping do those things.  It is likely that NPCs would only be able to help with ships of relatively standard designs.  Otherwise they wouldn't know what to do... and teaching them could be quite difficult.  They are just AI, after all.

There will be a few different ways to make a ship air-worthy... all involving magic to some degree. 

There will be a sort of neutral anti-gravity material that is essentially "lighter than air" but is not necessarily a gas (I might make it act like a liquid because I think a gas bag is more interesting than random block configurations).  This material provides a constant source of lift without consuming energy directly.  To make an airship buoyant will require a lot of this material and it will be difficult to find the raw materials and difficult to manufacture.  In the end, this will create dirigible style air ships.  These ships don't necessarily require power but they'll probably want some kind of thrust if they don't just want to drift with the wind.

The other approach is active anti-gravity.  This is a magic circuit that when fed with energy will create an antigravity bubble of some size/power.  Air ships employing this approach would require several "pods" to be both buoyant and stable.  Unlike a dirigible, the fields must be lower than the center of gravity.  The plus side of this approach is that the pods can also be potentially used for thrust.  In my mind, because of a sort of gravitational precession, forward movement of an anti-gravity field provides extra lift (like a wing does)... so some of the energy can be devoted to thrust by angling the fields.  Note, though, an anti-gravity pod is not an engine.  It does not produce thrust but does repel gravitational forces.  This is important because you can't simply rotate the pod 90 degrees to get super thrust.  You'd be back to 100% uplift and no thrust.  The field does have an axis of sorts so slightly tipping it can create an imbalance that produces forward thrust.  It is likely that air ships of this variety will require power consumption and backup power to the point that regular thrust engines are not a problem to support.  If you have to produce X watts of power to run your anti-grav engines and have a backup in case that power fails (or you drop like a stone)... then it's not really a big deal to run some regular thrust blocks that would require a small fraction of that power... especially since forward movement requires less power to the anti-grav pods.

In the game world, these ships will always resemble ocean going vessels and in most cases are direct derivatives.  a) you need to land them quite frequently and the water makes a great place, b) the wind can then be used as propulsion on both land and sea, c) building these ships is expensive and it is quite likely that all air ships of this kind were once working cargo ships until the captains earned enough money to add the pods and energy systems.

The simplified flight physics model I've started for the avians may also support wing structures on air ships.  In which case, wings may further offset some of the mobile lift requirements though a ship will still have to get off the ground first.  I don't foresee airplanes anything like air planes in the standard game.

And if you are thinking, "Running an air ship like that sounds complicated... reducing power here will increasing thrust... keeping track of power sources and energy draw, etc.."  That's precisely the point.  Smiley  The control systems will be the trickiest parts of these ships to build and will make the difference between a good one and a bad one.  But I can't wait to see what emergent systems players develop once it is all in place some day.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 02:46:59 AM »

Paul thats a amazingly thought out way to go about air ships, i like how you have a good idea and conception on most things that you want in your game and have planed or at least know how most things will work:]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 03:05:29 AM »

Paul thats a amazingly thought out way to go about air ships, i like how you have a good idea and conception on most things that you want in your game and have planed or at least know how most things will work:]

Of course, I have been known to design entire systems, on the fly, on the whiteboard, with the customer standing right there... Smiley

In this case, I already had to think about it because the story about Shasour kind of required that I know... and the rudiments were already thought of in the physics engine design.  The design above is also based on near total modularity and so is more likely to get at least partially implemented if some parts turn out to be impossible.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 07:21:31 AM »

Of course, I have been known to design entire systems, on the fly, on the whiteboard, with the customer standing right there... Smiley

In this case, I already had to think about it because the story about Shasour kind of required that I know... and the rudiments were already thought of in the physics engine design.  The design above is also based on near total modularity and so is more likely to get at least partially implemented if some parts turn out to be impossible.
So every time your stumped on a mythruna problem, make a story out of it and see if it helps!

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
T. B. Jerremad
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »

Wow!  Thank you everyone!

Paul, this sounds positively phenomenal!  I've been trying to find a game with proper sailing mechanics for a long time.  And that's not the least of this game,  I think you've got something huge here!

Sailing is just a hobby for me.  Music is my profession.
danny

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 05:32:01 AM »

Are you planning on modeling ship stability? Could ships capsize?  ( I have a small background in naval architecture and nautical science from college...so I'm geeking out. ) Is it possible to have naval battles?

I'd imagine if the answer to all is yes, you'd have in game recreations of the Vasa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)

Which would be hilarious.  It could lead to a whole in game profession of a ship designer. If your character has the skill then you would get in game feedback on the stability.  If your character doesn't, well...good luck.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »

I've seen mods for Minecraft that add Physics. Ship physics (Yes they could capsize, fire even worked on them). So Mythruna could get something similar if we spent the time. Hopefully you will add buoyancy into Mythruna Paul?

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »

Are you planning on modeling ship stability? Could ships capsize?  ( I have a small background in naval architecture and nautical science from college...so I'm geeking out. ) Is it possible to have naval battles?

I'd imagine if the answer to all is yes, you'd have in game recreations of the Vasa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)

Which would be hilarious.  It could lead to a whole in game profession of a ship designer. If your character has the skill then you would get in game feedback on the stability.  If your character doesn't, well...good luck.

I planned to implement a basic buoyancy model as I can.  I have to be a little careful because it would be really easy to capsize a ship if it's not lenient enough.  It either has to be perfect or lenient... and perfect is too hard.  The buoyancy properties of the craft would have be recalculated every time it bobbed in the water.  I will settle for some basic guesses based on the properties of the vessel and calculate a general stability from that.

...at least that's the plan.  Capsizing should be possible, though.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »

This roadmap is very outdated. That 15% is much closer too... IDK... 40%? 60%? Yeah. That whole "Two months away!" for two years is also kind of done now. I can almost see the next release in April! Maybe May Tongue But I can BELIEVE it will be in April!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 01:01:56 AM »

This roadmap is very outdated. That 15% is much closer too... IDK... 40%? 60%? Yeah. That whole "Two months away!" for two years is also kind of done now. I can almost see the next release in April! Maybe May Tongue But I can BELIEVE it will be in April!

Ok.  Since we want a random date.  3 years. Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: