Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 04:00:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Kid Friendly?  (Read 19570 times)
jdlsmith

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »

I've got kids who love to build, and right now they play the single player version, and really enjoy it (even the four year old - building a wooden palisade by himself)...  there are a few concerns that I have about multiplayer or the game-host server:

The game-host.org server tends to get some vulgar language/adult conversation at times...
The basic avatar is a mostly naked chick...

Because of the second, I'm a little leery of even hosting my own server and having my kids all log onto it.  Sad

Are there any plans to make it more kid-friendly?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:04:04 PM »

I've got kids who love to build, and right now they play the single player version, and really enjoy it (even the four year old - building a wooden palisade by himself)...  there are a few concerns that I have about multiplayer or the game-host server:

The game-host.org server tends to get some vulgar language/adult conversation at times...
The basic avatar is a mostly naked chick...

Because of the second, I'm a little leery of even hosting my own server and having my kids all log onto it.  Sad

Are there any plans to make it more kid-friendly?

I will put some filth censoring in at some point but in the end you are right to be concerned.  I have kids myself (6 and Cool and I'd probably never let them log into my server.  Many of the people who log on are very nice but many don't speak the language and some combination of that and personality can make for some pretty gruff experiences.  In some cases it's not really rudeness but in others it definitely is.  There is only so much control I can exert on a public server.

In that case, running your own server is probably the best bet.  I do the same for my own kids.  I even did that for minecraft.

I've tried to make running a server as easy as possible with the stand-alone server download.

re: the model, I tried to paint enough clothes on the woman so that it was more like a jogging outfit than a bathing suit.  She used to be bald, too, and that was a little weird.  It was an import problem and finally the hair shows up.  (Actually, my kids are kind of disappointed she has hair now. Smiley)

It will be a while before I'm able to replace her, though.  Sorry. Sad
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »

Sort of on this topic: What ESRB rating are you aiming at?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »

Sort of on this topic: What ESRB rating are you aiming at?

I think being able to slice the limbs off of NPCs automatically puts me in "M for Mature" territory.  It's unclear whether the feature toggles will be granular enough to turn that off.  Though it will be possible to run without combat at all in various build modes.

I want a game that I'd let my kids play.  My six year old I'd probably keep in no-mobs mode (like I do for Minecraft) but my 8 year old is probably ready for some mild combat... and he wouldn't be phased by missing limbs.  He's watched me play enough RPGs to have already had talks about "why did the wolf have to die?" and "who is going to come get the barbarian's body?".

I'm shooting for "fantasy simulator" without rape.  Let the chips fall where they may. Smiley
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »

He's watched me play enough RPGs to have already had talks about "why did the wolf have to die?"

"Because wolf tastes good, son. Being delicious is dangerous in these parts."
 Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »

He's watched me play enough RPGs to have already had talks about "why did the wolf have to die?"

"Because wolf tastes good, son. Being delicious is dangerous in these parts."
 Tongue

Heheh.  I went with "because he would have killed me"... which my son got to witness plenty of times after that.  There was one set of ruins in oblivion where I'd get a wolf to fall on my sword nearly every time I visited.  And since there were 2-3 wolves my son completely understood after a while. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:46:41 AM »

FYI: the next release will have the ability to hook scripts into the chat event... which makes dirty word filters possible.

I even have a sample dirty word script that makes it easy to filter words in various ways (and avoids the classic->clbuttic types of issues).

Shooting for a release on Monday.  We'll see.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:18:49 AM »

Paul need me to give u a list of words to add into it??? XD

(Actual list copied and removed by pspeed.  Umm... thanks for the initiative?  Would have been more helpful as a PM, though less funny I guess.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:16:23 AM by pspeed » Logged

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:05:13 AM »

Paul need me to give u a list of words to add into it??? XD

*snip*

You've taken it too far this time FutureB.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »

Glad I missed that...
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »

sorrrrrry PPFFFFFTBAHAHAHAHA yeaa...

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »

I was playing Halo, Doom, and Max Payne when I was 5 and I turned... alright
...I guess :}

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »

Yes... but the real question on hand... is how did you turn up? good, bad? mild?!
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »

Yes... but the real question on hand... is how did you turn up? good, bad? mild?!

He said "Alright". I got confused on what he said too.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
jdlsmith

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »

Been thinking on the topic for a bit... and I'm wondering about chat window options... which everyone would like anyway.

I can tell my kids they can play with the chat turned off, and that would be fine with me, were that possible.

Chat options like a permanent chat window with adjustable opacity, font size, fade after number of seconds, etc...  Of course, you'd probably want a way to do a gm broadcast to everyone in nice big letters, that couldn't be turned off.

Regarding the model: that barely looks like enough to be a swimsuit, let alone a jogging suit...  Wink

thanks,

JS
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: