Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 02:29:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relearning how to draw...  (Read 30154 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »

I got a pro drawing app called Manga Studio 4 EX last week and finally got a chance to install it today and play around. I took a break from coding random towns to start sketching one of the character portraits for the eventual "character diaries" portion of the web site. Just a little doodling pencil sketch while trying to remember how to use a digital tablet.

There are a few layers there as I play around with things and get the contours and perspective right for the final inking/painting layers... then Fayd will be ready to go if she turns out ok.

So far I kind of like this software package.  Relearning how to draw on a digital tablet is even more painful than relearning how to draw in my sketch book but I was able to do this one without my hand cramping.  That's progress from any perspective.  The tool lets me cut through a lot of cruft and that's kind of nice.  I can focus on content and relearning technique without having to relearn the 900 tricks for making sure things are lined up right and that the leg lengths match, etc. Wink

This is all sort of a means to an end, though.  The character portraits are practice for the race reference drawings that I will create to work from in Blender when I make the 3D models.

But, it may also lead to me finally having a game trailer story board in non-stick figure form. Smiley  Maybe someday I'll be able to show it.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »

heehehe that drawing is prity sick id be happy if i could draw like that on a tablet Tongue

also the storyboard idea would be cool to have :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:47:59 AM »

I know how to draw landscapes/3D drawings accurately since I was 11. (13 now) It's fun once you get the hang of it but I somehow instantly started drawing in 3D pretty easily when I was younger. Strange really. Idea: Once your game is compatible with texture packs: I'm making a pixel pack for people who want higher FPS while adding a Minecraft feel to the game.

P.S. Tablets are hard to use for beginners >.<
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:51:35 AM by Moonkey » Logged

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:51:55 AM »

I know how to draw landscapes/3D drawings accurately since I was 11. (13 now) It's fun once you get the hang of it but I somehow instantly started drawing in 3D pretty easily when I was younger. Strange really. Idea: Once your game is compatible with texture packs: I'm making a pixel pack for people who want higher FPS while adding a Minecraft feel to the game.

P.S. Tablets are hard to use for beginners >.<

Landscapes are what I do best.  I have no problem with perspective in general but figure drawing in perspective always gave me trouble.  Spending 20 minutes trying to make the forearm not look twisted, etc..

I have a real live paper sketch book that I use for concept noodling because somehow having a real pencil and textured paper in my hand is more freeing.  Though it's taken me a while to get back into that, also. 

I've had digital tablets over the years of various kinds but it's been at least 10 years since I used one with any consistency.

Last year for my birthday I got myself a large one with nice buttons, etc... and I've been working on getting comfortable with it again.  The picture above is the first real sketching I've done on it though.  The size helps... and I finally got the sensitivity to where I like it.  When I first got it, I hadn't sketched in so long that I didn't know what feel it should even have.

The size is nice because it pretty much forces me to pick it up and hold it like a sketch book.  The buttons are conveniently at my thumb (including the Undo button I setup Smiley) and sketching that way feels much more natural.

For the curious, this is what I have: http://www.vistablet.net/products/vtmuse.html   I didn't pay that much for it, though, as I bought it on Amazon.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:28 PM »

You know what would be great. A tablet that projects your screen on the drawing area. Or basically an over-sized DS!

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:19:45 AM »

You know what would be great. A tablet that projects your screen on the drawing area. Or basically an over-sized DS!

They have those.  I just don't have that kind of money.

http://www.wacom.com/en/products/cintiq.aspx

FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »

you will have that kind of money soon Tongue

1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »

you will have that kind of money soon Tongue

Would be nice.  Before I go spending $2000 on a drawing tablet, I think a bunch of other things come first. Smiley
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »

haha Tongue i think a new car would be nice :]

1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »

haha Tongue i think a new car would be nice :]

Heheh.  Truth is, I rarely drive the car I have.  It's sitting in the driveway with two flat tires and a dead battery.  I have to drive the kids places now because my wife can't drive for six months... but I use her car.  (I miss mine but not really enough to get it fixed.)
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »

Next best thing: WiiU. Yup. A WiiU! xD

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »

Next best thing: WiiU. Yup. A WiiU! xD

Too small.  Even the 12" Cintiq is nearly too small.
Deathwingoo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

Well atleast u draw better then me which isnt a compliment i sttill draw stickman
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »

Well at least u draw better then me which isn't a compliment i still draw stickman

There is an acquired taste for drawing Stickman. They are quite simple, but imagination can make them do complex things.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »

Well at least u draw better then me which isn't a compliment i still draw stickman

There is an acquired taste for drawing Stickman. They are quite simple, but imagination can make them do complex things.
ASDF Movie!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: