Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 02:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New build 20120627 - Mortared rock and bug fixes  (Read 19725 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:04:25 PM »

Just a patch release, really.  The new material makes it a required upgrade for servers that have upgraded (like the public server).

Get it here:
http://mythruna.com/download-now/

Release notes:
http://mythruna.com/download-now/20120627-release-notes/

Highlights in this release:
* New mortared rock material.
* Fixes for Java 7
* Some shader tweaks to streamline them, potentially improve performance, and maybe get them to run on more ATI cards.

Note: I've also included a new /grass console command to help try to figure out why setting /flora low is so much faster on some cards.  It has multiple levels that let me test different things.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:10:44 AM »

HIP HIP

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Thanos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »

Yay Paul you are the man. The pauses issue has greatly improved even with java 6. I haven't tried it with java7 yet but im sure its gonna be as smooth as with java 6 Smiley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:14:23 AM by Thanos » Logged
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »

Great work :] keep up the hard work and you will have an amazing game with millions of members in no time XD

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »

Wow. I bet you already know this but mortared rock is perfect. Even the noise on it works amazing. The only thing you should look at is the noise of the cobblestone now. I usually lay cobblestone as small road and the noise makes it look bad up close (the green doesn't fit very well and is a bit strong). But again, amazing stuff here. Great work!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »

Wow. I bet you already know this but mortared rock is perfect. Even the noise on it works amazing. The only thing you should look at is the noise of the cobblestone now. I usually lay cobblestone as small road and the noise makes it look bad up close (the green doesn't fit very well and is a bit strong). But again, amazing stuff here. Great work!

Yeah... noise isn't really ready yet.  I just thought it was cool so I didn't stub it out.  Right now all of the settings are tweaked specifically for the mortared rock.  When it rolls out for real, each material will have its own settings... and I can tell you from having played with it some of them look really nice with proper settings.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »

WOOOH! UPDATE! Just having a new block makes me want to get in :3 If you pump out a block each update, it would be amazing.....
ahmadsal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »

and I can tell you from having played with it some of them look really nice with proper settings.

You make me very eager ..........  Cheesy
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »

Yay a /grass option for us weirdo laptop users (I mean the laptop being weird) using Outdated video-cards. Too bad my charger isn't working. And ontop of that, I might be getting a new laptop since Over-heating/Charger over-heating with Dell's older laptops is a problem. *Hoping so badly for a new laptop! 11 more days till' my birthday! Cheesy* For others curious, I'm not using my laptop to type this in (Or any Comp/mac/laptop/ipod/phone :p lol)

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »

Yay a /grass option for us weirdo laptop users (I mean the laptop being weird) using Outdated video-cards. Too bad my charger isn't working. And ontop of that, I might be getting a new laptop since Over-heating/Charger over-heating with Dell's older laptops is a problem. *Hoping so badly for a new laptop! 11 more days till' my birthday! Cheesy* For others curious, I'm not using my laptop to type this in (Or any Comp/mac/laptop/ipod/phone :p lol)

So for you guys with issues with grass/flora, I added the multiple level grass options so that a few things could be tested.

If you have time... go to a relatively grassy place with some flowers and record your FPS once it settles.  Then:
1) run /flora low and wait for **loading** to stop.   Let FPS settle and record the FPS. (or just press F2)
2) run /grass medium and wait for **loading** to stop.  Let FPS settle and record it.  (or press F2)
3) run /grass medium2 and wait for **loading** to stop.  Record the FPS after it settles, etc.
4) run /grass normal and wait for **loading** to stop... record it again like above.

The last one is important because it will tell me if it's just the flowers that are a problem or the grass and/or how much each is a problem.

For the curious:
grass low uses boxes like before.
grass medium uses an opaque non-animated texture but does not do any LOD.  You will be able to see grass from as far away as you can see (which is not normal for regular grass)
grass medium2 is the same as medium except that LOD is turned back on meaning that grass farther than 64 meters is not rendered.

Seeing the frame rate changes between these modes will help me figure out where the slow-down is on the older platforms... because otherwise it's a bit baffling.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: