Mythruna
April 16, 2024, 12:31:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Life Status...  (Read 17518 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »

I meant to type this up earlier but I sprained my wrist last Sunday and typing has been pretty painful.  I've spent most of the week in a wrist brace and using/extending the pinky on my right hand has been excruciating.  Today it's not so bad if I take breaks every few sentences.

So, some of you know from following other topics that my wife's brain tumor has regrown.  She has been on chemo all this past year but it hasn't really stopped the growth so now they are looking to do surgery again.  The long standing members of this community will remember that we went through brain surgery, etc. last year and that things were much worse at that time.  The tumor is only the size of a marble this time (instead of a golf ball).

Still, we are on the cusp of having surgery again.  Brain surgery... the serious kind of surgery.  We also don't know exactly when it is scheduled.

We have the surgery done out of state by one of the best brain surgeons in the world.  Planning a trip this size, pulling the kids out of school, and so on is tricky at the best of times.  Even more fun when you don't know exactly when things will be.  So it's been a kind of stressful week.  (I really could have picked a better time to sprain my wrist.)

What this means to Mythruna and you guys is that development is extra slow right now.  I haven't even really been able to do design work this past week because of the wrist and trip planning.

Monday (April 22nd), I will be driving to Duke University with the family.  Tuesday we meet with the surgeon and sometime after that there will be surgery.  Maybe as soon as the next day.

I will have my laptop with me and I will try to keep up with the community and forums, at least.  I will be able to remote into my home network to check on the servers and stuff.  Any catastrophic hardware failures will be unfixable until I return sometime the following week.  Our neighbors have been nice enough to take care of our house while we're gone but I can't expect them to trouble-shoot router problems while they're feeding the pets. Smiley

I will try to work on stuff while I'm away but usually my free time is spent being exhausted.  Between worrying about my wife, keeping the kids occupied, driving to/from the hospital, sleeping on a couch, etc... it's hard to hold onto a detailed computer thought for more than a few minutes.

So please bear with me for the next week or so.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »

i hope your plan works out for the best  Smiley

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »

Bearing with you shall be my pleasure.
I'll keep praying that God will give you guys some of His peace in this stressful situation.
PrivateAlpha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:28:57 PM »

Wow, that is saddening news, I bid you the best of luck for the upcoming surgery.

I would suggest looking at natural treatments as a secondary to the surgery. I'm not saying they work, I'm not saying they don't work. But it is an option and there are people who would bet their own lives on that it works. Most natural treatments I have heard of are not harmful at all, so its worth a shot right?

Either way, my thoughts go out to you and your family!
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »

Good thing is, most brain surgery's aren't as dangerous as we put them to be. People have lost parts of their brains, and thanks to brain surgeons they are able to live. Best of luck to you! Hope your neighbors don't steal! *wink wink*

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
MAPster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:53:44 AM »

Hey man,
I wish you and your wife best of luck, but really try to keep calm. You really do noone a favor when you are agonizing day in and day out. Keep doing things you can influence while this time like for example doing nice things with your children, but don't try to do everything. Keep cool so your wife is gonna have a cool husband when she comes out of operation room. (and not an exhausted something =P take you the time you need)
Besides, noone will judge you for prefering your wife before Mythruna.
Wish you, your family and especially your wife best of luck ! But I guess you already did everything you could =)
Keep cool Wink
MAPster
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »

Hey man,
I wish you and your wife best of luck, but really try to keep calm. You really do noone a favor when you are agonizing day in and day out. Keep doing things you can influence while this time like for example doing nice things with your children, but don't try to do everything. Keep cool so your wife is gonna have a cool husband when she comes out of operation room. (and not an exhausted something =P take you the time you need)
Besides, noone will judge you for prefering your wife before Mythruna.
Wish you, your family and especially your wife best of luck ! But I guess you already did everything you could =)
Keep cool Wink
MAPster
i second that this is good advice

Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »

I will have my laptop with me and I will try to keep up with the community and forums, at least.  I will be able to remote into my home network to check on the servers and stuff.  Any catastrophic hardware failures will be unfixable until I return sometime the following week. 

We'll keep ourselves entertained, you just focus on the actually important things.
Honestly, I can't really think of something more serious and important than brain surgery, so there you go!
Anyway, I think the entire community's thoughts are with you and your wife and children, and no one will argue that the game will just have to wait.
Good luck!

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »

Everyone has already stated all of their hopes of her coming out of recovery alright, you living a good life, your life and your family, and job are more important than developing this game.

I just wish you, the children that you are parents of, and the wife you are married to, the best of luck possible. Paul, make it out of there and I hope for the best Smiley
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 06:10:08 PM »

Hang in there. Others have already said anything i could say.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »

Ditto

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 10:40:10 PM »

Ditto
In hopes of saying something brilliant, I failed. You need to show these comments to your wife, I bet everyone would chuckle. Cheesy

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
G1ZMO
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »

Thinking of you all at this difficult time Paul

Best wishes

Paul

Paul

Castle G1ZmO of Scotland @ -219:569
Castle GiZmODo @ -700:623
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 08:04:34 AM »

This past week was kind of a whirlwind.  We went to the Tuesday appointment with the surgeon thinking the surgery was going to be on Thursday.  Turns out she wasn't really scheduled yet but they checked her in that night and did the surgery the following morning.  By Wednesday afternoon she was in ICU recovering.  We were able to bring her back to the hotel on Friday.

The surgery went well but they had to leave some tumor behind because it was really close to the part of her brain that controls her right leg.  As it is, she has more weakness now in that leg and has a walker to help her get around.  She can mostly get around without it and we are hopeful that physical therapy will get her some mobility back.

The current plan is to stay down here until Wednesday.

On the other side, my wrist is feeling much better.  I was able to type this whole post without taking a break and it's only now starting to hurt bad enough to stop.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 09:31:01 AM »

nice to know everything worked out well  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: