Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 09:40:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Client is not recieving UDP messages from the server  (Read 18287 times)
PrivateAlpha

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:32:49 AM »

Same problem as here.
http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=1409.0

Can we get a thread to report this exact problem?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »

So, the server blasts out UDP messages to every client 20 times a second or so.  These include the game time, state of other players, etc..  UDP messages are unreliable but they are fast.  Because they are unreliable any number of things can cause them to not reach their destination.

The client tries to detect this because it breaks the game if they haven't come in.  From the time you connect to the time you actually click to join the game, I count the number of UDP messages that I've received.  If 0 the I give the error.

Causes of this error can be:
1) You have a relatively high-latency connection and you clicked through too fast.  If your connection is slow then it's possible that the UDP messages just haven't arrived yet if you click "connect" and then join right away.  I managed to do this myself once even on my LAN.  There is no use waiting for more than a second or so, though, as if they haven't come in by then you will have other issues.

2) Internet weirdness or something misconfigured on the player's side.  Either the UDP port is blocked or wi-fi is dropping them or something.  If other players seem to be getting in and you can't then this is the issue.

3) The server is failing to send out the UDP messages.  There is a memory leak in the server.  It can go weeks without an issue but certain player activity seems to trigger this.  When memory is maxed out then outbound messages have issues... if memory is nearly maxed out then outbound messages will sometimes be so slow as to not matter.  When you are connected and playing the game, you can keep an eye on this with the /servermem command.  Up as far as 96% may start to indicate a problem.... when it reaches and stays at 99% things go very badly.

4) Server operating system weirdness.  We saw this one recently where I was having to restart the server process every other day or so.  I recently finally rebooted this machine and so it should be months before we have that particular problem again.

5) Occasionally resetting my router has helped... but frankly that might have been issue (4) in disguise.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »

Hmm.. so many things right then and there that I now know that may cause a problem and that UPD isn't something that trustworthy but helpful..

I like your personification thingy for number 5
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »

Yeah, almost every problem that causes a UDP packet to get lost will cause a TCP connection to stall.

UDP packets will be critical for physics since this is how all physics state will be sent.
PrivateAlpha

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »

Interesting, I'll add it to the index for other players
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:49:10 AM »

I'm afraid something's wrong at Paul's end of the server, I haven't been able to login since last night (local time), and it seems like no one has logged in for the last couple hours.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:07:53 AM »

I've reset the server.  Nothing appeared wrong on this end but who knows.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 04:43:08 AM »

Sometimes udp errors just happen. After awhile it just starts working. It's confusing and annoying
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 05:56:04 AM »

I've reset the server.

That did it.

G1ZMO
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 08:46:24 AM »

I'm getting the UDP problem again. Not been able to get on today. (haven't been on for a good while)

Paul

Castle G1ZmO of Scotland @ -219:569
Castle GiZmODo @ -700:623
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »

I'm getting the UDP problem again. Not been able to get on today. (haven't been on for a good while)

I just now reset the server.  It had been a while so that should fix the issue.
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »

I get it every once in a while for a day or so, but I usually blame my own bad connection.

G1ZMO
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 05:50:00 AM »

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get on at all in recent weeks. Every time I try to connect I get the UDP error.

Paul

Castle G1ZmO of Scotland @ -219:569
Castle GiZmODo @ -700:623
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 06:38:50 AM »

Try a fresh install, worked for me before
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »

Try a fresh install, worked for me before
That has nothing to do with not being able to connect.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: