Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 10:18:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiki Planning  (Read 68544 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »

And now we wait I guess.

Not that waiting is a bad thing. I've got no free time this week anyway.

You are waiting on me now, yes?  I lost the bubble on what this thread was about. Smiley

So as it stands, the wiki won't let you even create a user, right?
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 02:41:16 PM »

Doesn't look like it.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »

Rayblon, I think you noted how I would/should add new users but I don't remember where.

I found through deep diving what I think is the account creation page but I don't know what you want me to do about passwords or whatever... though I guess I could just set it to something and then PM you.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »

Rayblon, I think you noted how I would/should add new users but I don't remember where.

I found through deep diving what I think is the account creation page but I don't know what you want me to do about passwords or whatever... though I guess I could just set it to something and then PM you.

Only you can create accounts currently, so yeah, your best bet is just creating an additional account and giving us access to that.

you can assign the account you make rights by going tohttp://mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Special:UserRights

At least, I think.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »

If anyone wants a Wiki account then just let me know.  I'll need your preferred user ID and e-mail address... so PMing me is probably best.

Edit to clarify further, the account creation form also has a place for "real name".  It's optional but just in case you want it filled in, I thought I would mention it.  I think it can be set in your preferences once you login, though. (Yep)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:16:22 AM by pspeed » Logged
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »

Currently, I can't make infoboxes in the wiki. This is a matter of a few extensions not being installed. It makes it difficult to make pages with illustrations look tidy(Infoboxes are what the Minecraft wiki uses to list basic information about a block, and wikipedia uses it to display general info on people or topics at the top right of the page, for instance).

If you decide to look into it, here's a tutorial on installing the stuff needed to make infobox templates functional: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Importing_Wikipedia_infoboxes_tutorial

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:46:56 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 11:09:18 PM »

Looks complicated... and requires me to install Lua binaries.  Kind of scary stuff.  Starting to see why they don't just include it by default.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 01:04:32 AM »

Looks complicated... and requires me to install Lua binaries.  Kind of scary stuff.  Starting to see why they don't just include it by default.

I've found that the manual on Mediawiki's website is rather convoluted compared to some of the other ones out there, but it's also the most complete. Supposedly it's a 5 step process for the bare essentials(though it is also said that not doing everything may make the formatting weird sometimes).

Anywho, if you ever get the chance to deal with the lua monsters, it'll mean alot for the wiki. I can't really include any pictures in wiki articles without having a place to nest them, after all. Keep up the good work Paul. :>

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 01:09:19 AM »

You can include pictures without an info box... so that part I don't understand.

I feel really uncomfortable installing binaries on a host that I can't touch with my own hands.  I'd have to learn way too much about the box running my stuff... not to mention if they ever move me then I'll be screwed.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 03:44:41 AM »

You can include pictures without an info box... so that part I don't understand.

I feel really uncomfortable installing binaries on a host that I can't touch with my own hands.  I'd have to learn way too much about the box running my stuff... not to mention if they ever move me then I'll be screwed.

From my experience, stand alone images end up taking entire rows instead of beng tucked away in a corner. Some articles, like, for instance, an article about terrain would best convey ideas through illustrations; but a dozen pictures doubles the article length and adds large white spaces.

An illustration of a single dirt block, even, would end up taking several lines of white space at the beginning of its' page.

It's also much harder to keep things consistent and professional looking without it. Infoboxes unify different things in such a way that reading the intro to block X lets you figure out everything

If the wiki is transferred but is lacking the binary, the wiki will be unaffected, but the formatting will revert to template format.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »

Ah, but the wiki wouldn't be transferred without the binary... the binary would just cause the web server to crash.  In fact, installing it now could crash my server and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it except spend time with my hosting provider's customer service.

And I'm still not sure I understand about putting images inline with the text:

...or even some configuration of a table.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »

I'm not even sure this is possible with a table on the mediawiki.(EDIT:It is, but the documentation on it is hard to find. :\)

Not to mention the fact that advanced formatting basically REQUIRES everyone to know how to use CSS formatting.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:36:22 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »

CSS is not particularly hard and is a worthwhile skill for anyone working on the web to have.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »

CSS is not particularly hard and is a worthwhile skill for anyone working on the web to have.

But I'm a biology major. ;-;

Anywho, I made a CSS table for blocks, but it has a really unstable width and I'm not sure how to lock that, sooo... Yeah.

Here's the code for any interested parties:

Code:
{|style="table-layout:fixed; float:right; Width:275px"
|
{| class="wikitable"
!colspan="8"|BLOCKNAME
|-
!colspan="8"|[[File:BLOCKNAME.png]]
|-
|Block IDs:
|(The numbers you see when selecting each form of a certain block)
|-
|Forms:
||(block, slab, Slope, half slope, top slope, top half slope, corner, half corner, thin, thin wall, cylinder, thin spike, thick spike, thin cylinder, thick cylinder, organic(Like tall grass, leaves, flowers...), other(Water top, for instance)
|-
|Material:
|(What sounds you hear when walking on... or in, a block. Materials include: Stone, soil, sand, wood, foliage, and water for now)
|-
|State:
|(solid, liquid, non-collidable)
|-
|Luminescence:
|(If no light is released, then no. If light is released, then the syntax is "Yes, #" Where # is the distance that the block can illuminate a completely dark area, including its' own position.)
|-
|Transparency:
|(If full sunlight is blocked, then "no". If all light is let through, then "full". To identify partial transparency, perform the luminescence test, but using a skylight of sorts to filter sunlight into a dark area.
|}

ALSO, if someone could figure out how to make slideshows like in the http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Wool infobox, that would be awesome.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:01:39 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »

Here are three table layouts I came up with. Which one should I use?

Table 1

Table 2

Table 3 (No outer shell)

Also, there's a formatting issue with the table that I may be unable to resolve.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:27:50 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: