Mythruna
May 01, 2024, 02:32:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsters In-game  (Read 27329 times)
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »

This is going to be epic.. for alpha. I buy and play this game while recording and become famous on youtube for it Cheesy

not coherent:
feb 18 is my birthday; i will ask to set up donating for my minecraft server (get a visa gift card) and donate to mythruna Cheesy
lol, nice idea. Don't forget to mention LATER ON that it goes there, then everyone would go 'WHAT IS MYTHRUNA!?' then come and see and go 'Dude, we're leaving your server forever. Goodbye. *click*'
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »

xD back on topic now?
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »

xD back on topic now?

Yes. How long until monsters? Don't forget you said you would just throw in MC combat (AKA, click = swing) if you had to.... Then, you could make Animationless Blocks with names above them such as 'Horse' or 'Bull' or 'Brinehero'... ETC.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 09:21:10 PM »

Actually, I think my last news was 18th at the earliest and that was looking pretty aggressive.  We'll see... if I don't get physics integrated this weekend then it's definitely not happening on the 18th.  As is, I have to get a ton of stuff done still before it's ready to go out the door.  I may post some test builds to the friends of mythruna group before that but even that depends.
Nope, you have a bunch of stuff done. Quit trying to build suspense. Huhuhu...  Cry

I do have a lot done... but there is a lot undone.  It's staggering really.  And while I can see how it all falls into place, it's still a ton of work left to do to port the parts I'm keeping over to the new engine.  Heck, I haven't even started on the new build tool.  The blueprint editor needs to be redone, etc... and all of those are in the "finishing touches" list.  I also have to figure out how property will work in "game mode".  So many things left.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 10:00:32 PM »

xD back on topic now?

Yes. How long until monsters? Don't forget you said you would just throw in MC combat (AKA, click = swing) if you had to.... Then, you could make Animationless Blocks with names above them such as 'Horse' or 'Bull' or 'Brinehero'... ETC.
What is with you and brinehero?

Actually, I think my last news was 18th at the earliest and that was looking pretty aggressive.  We'll see... if I don't get physics integrated this weekend then it's definitely not happening on the 18th.  As is, I have to get a ton of stuff done still before it's ready to go out the door.  I may post some test builds to the friends of mythruna group before that but even that depends.
Nope, you have a bunch of stuff done. Quit trying to build suspense. Huhuhu...  Cry

I do have a lot done... but there is a lot undone.  It's staggering really.  And while I can see how it all falls into place, it's still a ton of work left to do to port the parts I'm keeping over to the new engine.  Heck, I haven't even started on the new build tool.  The blueprint editor needs to be redone, etc... and all of those are in the "finishing touches" list.  I also have to figure out how property will work in "game mode".  So many things left.
If you ever get desperate enough, just ask me for help.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 10:34:20 PM »

xD back on topic now?

No monsters yet.  I think it is one of my next things, though... even if it's only to implement the "world maintenance" monsters like giant ants and stuff.  The mobs that clean up the stuff that players leave lying around as trash. Smiley  My son made up a creature called a visserakk that I'm keen to do also... another world maintenance creature as it turns out.  He didn't make it up for the game but I'm kind of interested in the idea of a giant worm-like creature that ingests minerals that then become its skin.  Just shows you never know where inspiration will come from.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:04 PM »

Maintenance creatures sound like fun, actually. Having something go around while you play Smiley Would be fun to see while playing. Except when you log back on and giant worms and ants are eating your home! D:

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 11:27:54 PM »

Maintenance creatures sound like fun, actually. Having something go around while you play Smiley Would be fun to see while playing. Except when you log back on and giant worms and ants are eating your home! D:

Certain things will suck up resources if people leave them lying around.  For example, when trees can be chopped down then there's now this big physics objects taking of physics time just laying there.  The physics engine will put it to sleep but it will still be hogging a slot that could be used for some other physics object.  The same is true for minerals, dead creatures, loot, etc. that gets left around.

Every decent persistent world setup will have "garbage men" to come clear this stuff out (or they just make it fade out after some time: lame).

The plan is to have certain creatures responsible for cleaning this stuff up.  Giant ants to clean up fallen trees, flora, and carrion... maybe some sort of giant flies to also help with rotting things.  Things like the visserakk would clean up the dropped rocks, minerals, etc. that are left lying about... maybe the occasional weapon or armor left laying around too long (like days).  There will also be some little goblin-like creature that will scavenge for stuff like this lying around... I forget what I called them.  They are primitive and use items like a cargo-cult would (fascinating reading if you look up 'cargo cult').

It's a resource management issue, primarily... but has the nice side effect of giving the world some easy life and character while also providing a little adventure if you choose to track one of these back to its lair or something.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 05:08:44 AM »

Certain things will suck up resources if people leave them lying around.  For example, when trees can be chopped down then there's now this big physics objects taking of physics time just laying there.  The physics engine will put it to sleep but it will still be hogging a slot that could be used for some other physics object.  The same is true for minerals, dead creatures, loot, etc. that gets left around.

Every decent persistent world setup will have "garbage men" to come clear this stuff out (or they just make it fade out after some time: lame).

The plan is to have certain creatures responsible for cleaning this stuff up.  Giant ants to clean up fallen trees, flora, and carrion... maybe some sort of giant flies to also help with rotting things.  Things like the visserakk would clean up the dropped rocks, minerals, etc. that are left lying about... maybe the occasional weapon or armor left laying around too long (like days).  There will also be some little goblin-like creature that will scavenge for stuff like this lying around... I forget what I called them.  They are primitive and use items like a cargo-cult would (fascinating reading if you look up 'cargo cult').

It's a resource management issue, primarily... but has the nice side effect of giving the world some easy life and character while also providing a little adventure if you choose to track one of these back to its lair or something.
here is where i decide to comment. i really don't know how you do it but this idea is once again amazing, for multiple reasons:
1. i LOVE when a world feels alive and responsive, and that is about as responsive and alive as it gets.
2. you are literally pulling another grand adventure out of thin air by letting us hunt them back to their lair. (it may not be a pretty adventure, but it provides more options and will probly be fun)
3. it is MUCH better than just having things fade away, as you said.

keep up the good work Paul! Mythrunians to the end!

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »

What is with you and brinehero?
<SNAP>
Oh, it's just funny. I always believed in Herobrine over on MC, but not to the extent of going crazy. Now I'm trying to throw a million and one hints at Paul to add Brinehero in as a 'Seecret Fr-Sunday' creature :3... He would go running around and steal your items or burn our house. He would be the rarest thing to ever encounter, so if you run into him (Even just by him stealing your items) it would be like OMG! Oh yes, and if you kill him, he's gone from your world forever. Until he respawns that is :3....

And the idea for the monsters that eat up your items is AMAZING! I LOVE that idea! I remember back on MC when items took awhile to disappear, but even then wasn't enough time to get them back. Now, you have no chance unless you died at your spawnpoint or have a Mod installed...
I think it's amazing to have rats go eating the cheese you left on the ground! Then, would be even BETTER if you could go and FIND the monsters and get your items back after let's say, 2 years of gaining enough supplies to kill the dragon that stole your house with one gulp :3... With you inside of it OFC...
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »

"I believe in herobrine" I just lost some respect for you.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »

That was hilariously rude Undecided
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »

lolol.... I know that is a joke, so no worries.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »

Cool

Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

Cool
lol. Not I know I'm confused... :S
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: