Mythruna
April 26, 2024, 01:15:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: My ship...  (Read 50616 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »

CAN WE PLEASE GET BACK ON topic?
I mean, it's a very nice hull and all, but there isn't much to say about it until Paul adds sails and all that fun stuff.
I am just tired of making things get off topic..

Here is a subject:
Wouldn't it be cool that when you add sails that the sails would wave as if wind was blowing on it, or is that already a planned idea for ships since they are 'objects'.

In the latest video there is a quick fly-by.  No new construction on the ship.  Too many other things to do.

And yes, I will wait for cloth to do the sails.

I wonder what the point of having a special cloth material would be if it didn't flap in the wind...
*cough* leave that to me:
1.) Different colors?
2.) Sturdiness
3.) sails faster

#smart(donkey)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »

It is interesting... today I learned that I might be able to model buoyancy more accurately than I originally thought.  I was just going to simulate "center of buoyancy" based on an analysis of the objects... but at the world collision level it seems I can get this info as a by-product.

It won't take into consideration the empty spaces (yet) and when it does that may turn out to make world collisions too slow for these objects... but it is a bit encouraging.  Even if I don't do it as part of the world collisions, I can calculate it separately and less often.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »

It is interesting... today I learned that I might be able to model buoyancy more accurately than I originally thought.  I was just going to simulate "center of buoyancy" based on an analysis of the objects... but at the world collision level it seems I can get this info as a by-product.

It won't take into consideration the empty spaces (yet) and when it does that may turn out to make world collisions too slow for these objects... but it is a bit encouraging.  Even if I don't do it as part of the world collisions, I can calculate it separately and less often.
+1

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »

Oh yeah, about that hole detector... A lot of mods for Minecraft have actually mastered this. The first one I can think of is Finite Liquid, which actually does the same thing we would want to happen to ships. Another is GalactiCraft, which detects if there's a hole for the air to leak out of your base or not :3... So yeah, it might take some time, but you should be able to get it(eventually).
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »

Oh yeah, about that hole detector... A lot of mods for Minecraft have actually mastered this. The first one I can think of is Finite Liquid, which actually does the same thing we would want to happen to ships. Another is GalactiCraft, which detects if there's a hole for the air to leak out of your base or not :3... So yeah, it might take some time, but you should be able to get it(eventually).
only time will tell.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »

So, these things can move in any direction and orientation and they still calculate holes and fill in real time?  Impressive.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »

So, these things can move in any direction and orientation and they still calculate holes and fill in real time?  Impressive.
Anydirection/orientarion, no. The rest, yes. Realtime on a blocky scale.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »

Well, then it's trivial.  No different than light propagation really.

It's the any direction, any orientation thing that makes it hard.  The difference between a solid boat, a boat with a hole in it, a boat upside down, a boat tipped over on its side, etc..   All potentially changing from frame to frame.  It's doable but not easy.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2013, 04:37:26 AM »

Well, then it's trivial.  No different than light propagation really.

It's the any direction, any orientation thing that makes it hard.  The difference between a solid boat, a boat with a hole in it, a boat upside down, a boat tipped over on its side, etc..   All potentially changing from frame to frame.  It's doable but not easy.
we have the utmost confidence in your expertise, master paul.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
jfacoustic

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

Looks pretty cool!  "I will sail my vessel until the river runs dry..."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: