Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 12:30:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: My ship...  (Read 50327 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:30:19 AM »

So after getting most of the old block types ported over to the new engine (finally), I took a break for a few hours and decided to build a sailing ship.  Well, probably like 6 hours.  I hadn't played my game in a while. Smiley

Hopefully this next week I will start implementing physics and I wanted a big ship ready so I have something to shoot for.

Here are the results of my building so far.

I started out doing some research on the web.  My initial framing is based on the "HMS Surprise" from the movie Master and Commander.

Here is the initial framing:

Here is more framing from the inside of one of the decks:

The ship has a lower hold underneath the lower deck.  In that pic, we are standing in what will be the lower deck.  This is also where the cannon portholes will be in the final ship.  Above us is the main deck which is exposed for half of the ship.  The last half of the ship has a quaterdeck which covers the main deck... this part of the main deck is what the great cabin, captains berth, etc. are located.

Here is how far I got before stopping tonight:

It's not the best picture but to me it looks better from this distance because the direction of the wood grain really bugs me. Smiley

Here we can clearly see the quarter deck, lower main deck, and raised forecastle.

True to the scale of the original HMS Surprise, this one is 41+ meters long.  The rigging height is also relatively accurate.  I had to collapse some of the original decks a little and I wanted a more dramatic quarter deck anyway.  The original was only 3 feet difference or something.  I was going for a more classic fantasy look so once I had the framing and basic decking in place, I got creative.

It's sitting in a dirt dry dock waiting patiently for physics.  If I can get this ship working with physics, it will be the template by which I create other NPC-driver ships.  I'm really kind of proud that I was able to keep it relatively accurate to size while still having plenty of deck space internally.

If anyone is curious to see it, I can probably copy it to a small world and upload the zip.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:47:45 AM »

Ok... I took some more pictures... Smiley

Closer, looking up from the water... note: when it floats it will sink about 4 blocks (5 blocks relative to where it is now)

From the back showing the great cabin and the rudder... rudder will need work:

View of the forecastle from the quarter deck:

View of the quarter deck from the forecastle:

Note: it's bigger than it looks in this picture.

Now, if we walk through that door on the left to go under the quarter deck, here is part of the covered of the main deck:

Note: I have not finished covering one side of the ship... which you can see in some of these pictures.

That door in the back leads to a small cabin that leads to the great cabin:

On the HMS Surprise, that's where the quarter galley and captain's mess, etc. would be.  Over our left shoulder is a small cabin where the captain's bed is.  It can fit the standard Mythruna bed and has its own window... I didn't snap a pic.

Here is the lower deck/gun deck:

You can see the ladders leading up to the main deck and one close to us leading down to the hold.

And finally, here is a view of the hold looking from bow to stern:

It was a fun build but there is still lots to do before I'm happy with it.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:35:50 AM »

That looks way better than my airship.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »

ps, will there be any aviation physics added into the game? Maybe like gliders.... Or even airships?

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »

Good job paul it looks really nice, loving the detail you put into it [:

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »

Ugh I have resorted to MC. Please hurry and save me from this madness! I know it will be a the princess is in another castle feeling but it will help keep me hoping. Great ship anyhow.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »

ps, will there be any aviation physics added into the game? Maybe like gliders.... Or even airships?

Airships, yes.  Gliders, probably not.  But who knows, ultimately.

When there are sailing ships there will also be air ships.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »

hey Paul, if there was one hole in the bottom, approximately how much time would it take for the ship to sink 1 block [Meter, Foot, Ect.]?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »

hey Paul, if there was one hole in the bottom, approximately how much time would it take for the ship to sink 1 block [Meter, Foot, Ect.]?

0 meters per second.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »

so you straight up said that they don't sink xD (or will it take more holes)?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »

so you straight up said that they don't sink xD (or will it take more holes)?

I don't yet know how "floating" will be determined but, for the foreseeable future, detecting holes in a large hull will not be implemented.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 04:27:09 AM »

i forget, will the physics engine make blocks not float in midair like your docks is?

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 04:37:18 AM »

i forget, will the physics engine make blocks not float in midair like your docks is?

Probably not... but we'll see.  Physics objects will take quite a bit of resources so I won't be creating them at random.  I want falling trees and (under certain circumstances like fire and stuff) collapsing buildings but I don't know how far I'll be able to push things.

Also, the dock is anchored to the sea floor... so technically it would have stood anyway unless I somehow model material tension strength or something.

I do have a couple dreams: 1) that I get proper water physics working, 2) that I can use it to model sand acting like a semi-fluid.  Other than that, I have no plans to model structure strength directly other than the things stated above.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »

Implementing water to fill holes will take a lot of code. You have to allow the engine to detect the block (lets say for left wooden slope) you call a method:

Code:
if(water.contains(leftWoodSlope) {

fillWater.leftWoodSlope();
}

just a theory of how I would think it would work if you do the rest of the code, or something like this.
*foreshadows the future as shame*
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM »

Actually it's simple. All you have to do is get the water to look for an empty space down,left,right,forward, and backwards. If there is a block other than water in that direct, keep looking until you find an empty space. Not up though, water going up wouldn't make sense. Hahaha

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: